Vevor Microscope

Has anyone tried the Vevor brand microscope. Yes, it is a low cost generic and I am sure it does not hold a candle to other brand name microscopes, but is it value for its very low cost

1 Like

Hi,

Thank you for the interesting find!

i watched the video, and the first thing that struck me was that the stand appears very similar to the Acrobat stand, which is is over $845…and this whole setup is only $369…amazing price! for the stand alone!

also, consider the objective lens included.

search “objective lenses” (my copy button is not behaving!)

i use a .63 objective lens for stone setting

julie

1 Like

Hi,

ok, here is the post i was referring to, that discusses objective lenses, etc

julie

1 Like

Thanks for the info Julie. Looking at the Vevor specs, the objective lens is 0.5x and the ocular is 10x, suggesting a maximum magnification of 5x. The Vevor specs say 0.7x to 4.5x. So question for the stone setters; Is 4.5x going to be helpful in general stone setting ie prong setting, flush setting, bezel setting. I don’t do pave or any complex settings. Or is more magnification required for the microscope to be useful. I was also hoping it would help in my filigree work.

1 Like

I spoke to a goldsmith friend who sets with a high end microscope. While his microscope has a larger magnification range, he tells me that he does a lot of his setting work at around 5x magnification. So he feels that for the types of setting that I tend to do, the Vevor microscope, which has a maximum magnification of 4.5x would probably be adequate, as long as the quality of the lenses was high enough that the field of view is not blurry. Do any of the stone setters out there have any additional thoughts or comments?

1 Like

Hi,

another consideration is the working distance…

as a reference
leica .50- working distance 7.8”
leica .63- working distance 6.1”

take a look at the eyepiece/ head height and add that to the working distance…thats where your hands/ workholding ball vise or benchmate, etc will be…sit at your bench and figure out where your hands will be and what else you might want/ need…ie: a cool setters bench(!)…a grs ball vise shelf…a low profile ball vise…qcx benchmate…etc…i would love to build a cool setters bench…lower…enclosed 3 sided “well”…to catch stones!…i rigged up an ikea plastic tray over my ball vise shelf to catch falling stones!

i wanna say my eyepiece: head height is around 10-11”

perhaps this brand sells other objective lenses too.

it looks like a good scope…and the price is good

p.s. the newer grs benchmate qcx stays centered…a nice thing!…i was able to purchase just the bracket parts needed, to use my original benchmate ringholder/ accessories…

julie

1 Like

I agree with Julie. Ample working distance is critical for a setter’s microscope. I have a jeweler friend who bought an inexpensive microscope somewhere off the internet with a Leica-like fold away stand that was advertised for jewelry work that wasn’t set up for distance work. It was unusable for anything hands-on.

This microscope says working distance "95mm-300mm/ 3.7’'-11.8”. That sounds great, but like Julie said, how is it actually measured?

As far as the Vervor microscope and stand goes, it looks very similar (might even be the same?) as the Otto Frei Setter’s Scope. (multiple jewelry tool companies sell that same scope & stand) Otto Frei has had multiple versions of their setter’s scopes over the years. I own two of them, because I work in town and at my home studio. The first one I bought in 2005 came with a genuine GRS microscope stand. The second one is the version that Otto Frei sells now, that looks like the Vervor scope and stand. The GRS stand is unquestionably way better, but I’ve learned to make the current stand work. For what I need a microscope for the optics on both scopes are great.

One thing to note is that it doesn’t look like this scope comes with a light. I think a variable brightness LED microscope light is essential. Amazon has a number of them that aren’t expensive.

Be sure and inquire about the return policy, so you can return it if you’re not happy with it.

I agree, it looks like a good deal! Let us know if you get it and what you think about it.

Best of luck!!

Jeff

3 Likes

Jeff and Julie… Thanks for the feedback. I just ordered the microscope from Vevor and a ring light from Amazon. I will post here once I have set it up. I might even do an unboxing video and post it on my YouTube.

4 Likes

Hi!
yay! ring light! i forgot to mention that!
mine is mounted around the kense

julie

1 Like

Hi, I have the vevor microscope and love it. The smallest I have set is 2mm. I have the ring light from Amazon too. But I love it, it’s a great piece of kit for the money

3 Likes

Hi Monica, thanks for the post. I am looking forward to receiving mine… it is supposed to arrive tomorrow

2 Likes

Milt,
I’m curious as to how it’s going with your Vevor Microscope, is it what you were hoping for, does it help you with Stone Setting and your Filigree Work? I’ve been thinking about purchasing one too, but wanted to get your feedback first, as I don’t really need it yet, though it would make some Jewellery Work much easier if had one. Also, which Ring Light did you purchase off of Amazon and does it work the way that you wanted it too? Thank you!
Jonathan

1 Like

Milt…Did you get it and do you like it? Your needs are similar to mine. Thanks…Rob

Hi Jonathan and Rob
Yes, I received my Vevor microscope a couple of weeks ago. I was away teaching so did not have time to set it up until a couple of days ago. I have only played with it a little bit, but my initial impression is very positive. Image is very clear and there seems to be enough working space between the microscope and the item being viewed, to all me to get my hands in comfortably and work. I do have one issue that I am not yet sure how to resolve. The height of the microscope eyepiece is higher than my height adjustable chair. I have had to resort to using an uncomfortable bar stool when using the microscope. I have not yet come up with a solution that I like. It seems that the only solution is to lower my work bench, or lower my bench pin, or have a separate work bench for using the microscope…Suggestions from other microscope users would be helpful… I need to think about this a bit more.
Also, Jonathan asked about the ring light I bought. I am very pleased with the ring light, fits perfectly on the microscope, powered by USB and has adjustable light intensity. Here is the link on amazon.ca
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0B1JQLXG7?ref=ppx_pop_dt_b_asin_title&th=1
Once I have had some more time to work with the microscope, I will post some more details about my thoughts on this microscope.
Milt

2 Likes

Hi,

how are you holding work…?…bench pin and hands…ball vise…benchmate…? workholding adds height constraints…

i suggest first sitting in a comfortable chair, where your feet are flat on the ground (also for if you are using foot pedals…)

and then adjust the height of the scope to meet your eyes

…adjusting bench height last, if neccessary, or mounting arm closer to front of bench so you can pull scope forward and then down lower (if that makes sense)

i look straight ahead, over the eyepieces, with the bottom of the eyepiece just touching my under eye skin…then i look down moving my eyeballs only

grs sells a sattelight stand…a less expensive screw adjusting stool comes to mind…

julie

1 Like

The following can lower your bench pin up to 4 inches and is not terribly expensive:

The following can lower your bench pin up to 8 inches, but is terribly expensive, but is perhaps a better option than lowering your bench or getting a separate bench:

Neil A

1 Like

Julie and Neil, Here is a photo of my ring setup. The distance from the top of the ring to the lense is around 4 inches. When I raise my chair to its highest height, my eyes are about 3 inches below where they should be to comfortably look into the microscope. Note that if I am just using my bench pin alone, the work would be lowered about 1 to 1.5 inches below where the ring is in the photo I like Neil’s suggestion of using the adjustable height bracket, but it will lower my bench pin quite a bit when I am not using the graver ball.

2 Likes

Hi,

yes, the grs standard ball is tall, and then you have the grs ring holder which adds height…

if you primarily do rings, knowing what i know, after buying a bunch of stuff, i would suggest the grs benchmate encore qcx…it stays centered under the scope…you can work say a side set halo…or under the stone…without massively adjusting the scope…

if you have the original benchmate, you can just custom order the new bracket parts…you “may” also need the tru axis slide and lock

if you prefer a ball vise, i suggest the grs micro XL…it is a bit more stable/ heavier than the micro ball…you will “probably” also need the tru axis slide and lock…and you already have the bench shelf

you can first position your chair, then position where the scope needs to be, comfortably…dont stretch your back or neck at all…and then calculate the space you have in between and figure out the products…

julie

2 Likes

Milt, the lower cost GRS holder is sturdy enough to hold your engraving ball and its mount. If all you need is to lower the ball 3 inches, it would work.

{the slide & lock } will lower my bench pin quite a bit when I am not using the graver ball.

I don’t understand what you mean. Both of the brackets I suggested are removable. If the cost of the Slide & Lock is not an issue, it slides up as well as down, so you can raise the dovetail for a GRS bench pin as well as lower it.

While it costs even more than the Slide & Lock, the GRS MicroBlock would also lower your working distance, and no doubt be a whole lot lighter to move around :slightly_smiling_face:

Another option, costing even more, is the GRS Benchmate Encore, which is supposed to be fully maneuverable and still keep your ring at the focal point of your scope.

I will stop spending your money now.

Neil A

3 Likes

Hi,

the difference between the “tru axis” slide and lock is that unlike the less expensive ones, it doe not raise up above the bench (and so does not accidentally crash into the scope)

i do use my benchmate on my tru axis, or my bench shelf on it…

if you have the original benchmate, you can just get the bracket portion of the setup…i forget the cost…$250…?…and use you original benchmate ring holder and accessoried…

if you like the weight and deadblow of the larger standard ball vise, then i would suggest the grs satellite stand…an additional benefit is that you can position it between your legs…

check out grs youtube channel to see different product demos

https://grs.com/product-category/products/satellite-workholding/

i feel like i want to get a screw adjustable height stool and try that!…also for repousse bowls!

julie

3 Likes