Silver palladium alloy

I’ve spent some time trying to source a small amount (15 grams or so) of silver palladium alloy. The project I’m doing suggested about 7% palladium,93% silver.
I’ve emailed American Elements for a quote but never heard back. I’m becoming comfortable with casting my own ingots and was wondering if I could simply get some palladium and fine silver casting nuggets, weigh out the ratio and make my own? If so, any advice?
I would rather buy the alloy already made in case anyone knows of a source.
Thanks!

Have you tried Hoover and Strong? I see they have it listed.

Indeed

Thank you !!

Indeed ? To the alloy or to Hoover and Strong ?

never mind, I see was a reply to Mscott

It seems Hoover and Strong only caters to professionals with a verified business license, so I’m still in search of this alloy or advice on how to create it.
Thanks

Dan,
Palladium needs to be worked with in an oxygen free environment when you are taking it up to melting temp. It melts at a very high temp. and if it’s melted in normal environment, will absorb oxygen and become very porous, even getting close to melting it starts to become porous. When I used 95% palladium, I used Argon gas to prevent this from happening. Granted I never made my own alloy, but I’d think you’d find It’s not like making a normal ingot. There are some videos on YouTube, melting Palladium, but I couldn’t help questioning how truly successful one would be from my experience with working with 95% palladium.
Good luck if you decide to go that route.
TJones Goldsmith

Stuller makes a great palladium Silver called Continuum.

They sell to retailers as well as to craftsmen. Easier to get a craftsman/artisan account that a retail one.
I love this so much. I’ve been using it for years now. If you have any questions feel free to ask me. -Jo

1 Like

Thank you Tjones, you saved me from certain failure :slight_smile:

Thank you jhaemer, I will give some a try!

I agree with TJones and JHaemer!

For what you are doing in a studio setting it would be best to have already manufactured material stock, sheet, whatever. Stullers material is excellent I can attest.

The problem with trying to alloy at home or cast is as TJones states, creating the proper oxy free setting is an issue for a bench jeweler.

Either material ss pd or pd stock is usable as a bench jeweler there are tips and tricks to all but are really wonderful to work with once you understand the rules.

I hope you have fun learning these wonderful materials!
Christine

In my shop I teach ( and use myself) an old electric grill with a heavy copper plate I made for it on top it works perfectly , We’ve even marked at the dial the sweet spot

IMG_6070.JPG

IMG_6071.JPG

I still have not been able to find this material. I do not have a business, so I don’t have a tax id number which it seems is required to order from Stullers,no?

You can open a student account. With that type of account you can order tools, stones, findings, and metals only.
They require a Tax ID number for retailers to sell their mountings and finished goods.

Thanks, I submitted a student application.

So I am not officially a student anywhere and submitted my Stuller application using Jewelry Training Solutions as my “Institution”, as I am a member with them and do many of the projects. Stuller responded and asked for a copy of my transcript, which I, of course, do not have. I don’t see how I can order anything from Stuller. Is there any source for a Silver-Palladium alloy that will sell to someone who is not a student or professional?

Find a student at a local college, maybe an art student, who will register for you…maybe someone interested in metalwork, who would have a use for an account…or maybe a local jeweler who would order for you for a small fee…it seems they all have Stuller accounts…maybe you could work a trade and do some work (repairs, sizing?) for them…-royjohn

Thanks, having a jeweler order some may work, I’ll give it a try. Odd that I can’t just purchase some myself.

I feel your pain…there are companies I’d like to order from, but as a hobbiest, I would need a business license. If I had a state business license (which I once did) I would have to file quarterly reports on sales tax. Also, my county would pick up the listing from the state and require me to have a county business license. Fortunately I am in a rural area with no zoning prohibiting a business, but I’d have to pay for the county license and then file reports with them, too. It’s too complicated to fool with just to order some supplies and findings…fortunately I don’t need special alloys at present…the next thing coming down the pike is a 1099 to the IRS any time you receive more than $600 in a bank account. So there will be that paperwork to show that it wasn’t a business sale, I guess, or filing a business tax return to show expenses greater than receipts. I laughed a few years ago when I bought a few thousand dollars worth of gem rough from a guy in Texas and he wanted the money sent in cash in an envelope, but I’m not laughing now…-royjohn