Recycle Gold Foil

HELP! A friend gave me 4 boxes of W. Germany 22K Crocodile Brand gold leaf and 1 box of W. Germany 22K Blatt brand. In do not us this in my work and I want to dispose of it. The boxes say “size 3 3/8” x 3 3/8" " but random inspection shows sheet of about 1 sq. in. to 2 sq.in. Rio will not accept foil for recycling. How/where can I get rid of this?

1 Like

Your best bet would be to sell them to a calligrapher who does high-end documents. The pieces are a bit small for a framing shop, and bookbinders use a kind of patent foil that is carried on plastic strips, so loose gold leaf is of no use to them.
Although, a framing shop that does gilding might take the books as the small pieces are good for gilding touch-ups.

3 Likes

Thank you

Try Hoover and Strong. Like anyone else, they will need a large enough quantity to make it worth their while as well as yours…Rob

1 Like

HI Richard
Do you have any idea the weight of the material?
We may be able to accept it as a refining.

Thank You
Ken
David H Fell. Inc.

2 Likes

gross weight boxes, tissue and foil is 663 grams. I’m happy to ship boxes as is and let you determine weight iof foil. I don’t have time to weigh all the sheets.

1 Like

thank you

I’d try to use it. It’s likely too thin for kumboo, but could be used in one of the Japanese techniques to inlay gold into metal. Sure better than simply melting it. Or break as stone and reassemble with epoxy and some of the foil… Judy H

Is it equivalent to gold leaf?? if so, it is very very usable. I also use it in my lampwork bead making. if you melt a bit on the end of a borosilicate rod one can fume the surface of a bead a gorgeous pink. How much do you want to sell it for?

I use gold leaf too in my work. It’s a lot thinner than foil; so thin that you can actually see through it. Handling it is difficult, since a current of air is enough to crumple it up irreparably. But it makes a shiny permanent surface like no other material. I doubt that it would be a good candidate for melting, because of the large surface area compared to its mass. It usually comes in sheets about 3 inches square - are you sure the pieces you looked at were typical of what you’ve got? People do cut it down sometimes for ease of use, or for small jobs. Here’s some information on how to use it: The Water-Gilding FAQ—The Traditional Gold-leafing Process » Juxtamorph » United Artworks Gold Leaf » Juxtamorph » United Artworks

Barbara, if you think you can use it in your work Inwill ship it to you. If not pass it on to another artist. I read up on melting it and it is complicated and I just don’t want to deal with it. Give me a shipping address for USPS and I will get it off. I don’t want any money for it as it was given to me and I have no use for it.

1 Like

If it is Leaf that is different from Foil. If it is foil, I am interested.

Enamelers would LOVE to get their hands on this. There are several groups on facebook. Merry-Lee Ray’s Online Classroom for a start. They don’t need large pieces of foil. Some enamelists use it flat and some cut the foil up in tiny pieces for a wonderful sparkling effect.
Jo

2 Likes

OK Here is the final deal on the stuff. There are 5 boxes and I will give it away if you pay the postage of $9 for priority mail small flat rate box. I don’t want it, not enough for refiners and it is too conmplicated and time comsumning to melt. Geez some people decorate cakes with it and eat it. YUK! I will be in my studio this afternoon 4/11/24 and trhe rest of the week. Call me to get yours" 303 841-0751. Payment of postage by PayPal or Zellie. Mountian time in CO. :smiley:

I am giving it away. see post for info

I’ll grab it if you don’t have anyone else’s on it right now. I would like to try it to experiment with keum boo someday. Can you send me a payment request through PayPal? brokenpinestudio@gmail.com
I’ll give ya $25. I would call now but I’m running out to pasture to assist a cow with her calf. I’ll follow through with you.

Shannon McIntyre

OK Guys/Gals I havge had 5 calls for the stuff. If anything falls through I will repost the offer. Thank you, What a learning nexperience thisw has been.

3 Likes

Hi Richard,
I will pay for the shipping and your packing. I would like to use it to teach highschoolers keum boo in San Antonio.
Jennifer Pierce

I don’t think gold leaf is thick enough to work as Keum Bo foil - that has to be many times thicker. Better try it at home first, before demonstrating this to your students.

1 Like

That’s a lovely thing to do!

1 Like