What kind of goodies are you all getting for the holidays? If any?

That’s fantastic! I love mine and use it to set all my bezels now. There’s a foot pedal you can buy that some folks on here suggested. It really helps with low speed control.

Lucas lowboy pedal. Great add on!

5 Likes

I have used Lucas pedals for years. They are an improvement over the OEM pedal…Rob

3 Likes

They are a remarkable improvement. It’s a shame the factory pedals are so inferior.

2 Likes

this is off the topic…I’m not getting stuff but getting a one month vacatiion to Hawaii… goodbye cold weather for a month! Merry Christmas to everyone and a Happy New Year… Mele Kalikimaka e ea
Haouli Makahiki Hou!!!

7 Likes

That’s a real treat. I was born in Hilo. Enjoy the warm and sun!

2 Likes

I bought a 1 kg melting furnace. I’m looking forward to be able to reuse my scrap and produce some sheet metal. Previously, I was really limited to small batches mostly suitable for wire.

1 Like

Congrats! I hope it goes really well.

1 Like

I splurged on an electric motor for my hydraulic press. It’s truly a game changer, it’s much faster and my hands are singing hallelujah after years of pumping a manual press.

6 Likes

Re Santa gifted : I got a pair of Craft Optic custom prescription glasses with a light. A game changer!

4 Likes

Welcome Dianna!

2 Likes

Hallelujah indeed! What an upgrade. Congratulations.

I recently got a better optivisor. It makes such a difference to see. Congrats!

3 Likes

What did you buy? I am still looking at them…Rob

1 Like

Well, I got myself a Foredom flexshaft and the Bench Basics sander from Pepe. I have been using a Grobet flexshaft for several years, but felt it was time for an upgrade AND I thought how useful it would be to have a flexshaft to run the sander and not have to switch back and forth, even as easy as that it. (I put the Grobet to work with the sander.) I am so impressed with the smooth action and power of the Foredom. Can’t believe I waited so long! And the sander is always ready to go and super handy. FYI: about a year ago I bought the little Foredom mini-lathe hood, primarily as a way to keep dust down some when using abrasive wheels, etc with the flexshaft. I can’t justify the expense of a dust collector at the moment, so I find the hood very useful. It’s quite compact, though fairly noisy. And the dust flying about and getting on everything has been greatly minimized.

8 Likes

That sander looks slick. What do you use it for?

1 Like

I wasn’t going to get anything but of course I am :slight_smile: A beehive kiln.

5 Likes

Congratulations! Are you going to use that for granulation? I don’t know anything about those kind of kilns.

Not at the moment. Recently I learned that you can fire certain stones in place in metal clay, and since I had some dried up clay and some rubies & sapphires too small for my fingers to work with that I’ve had for a while, I decided to give it a try. Rehydrated the clay, stuck the stones in and torch fired it, and it worked great. So I decided I wanted to do more of that, with other stones, and also make some more dimensional things (I don’t have casting facilities), so this is a way to start. The torch works but firing is less fiddly.

2 Likes

I thought metal clay shrunk quite a bit - how are the stones able to stay in place through that? Do they keep it from shrinking around them? What kind of stones are suitable?

1 Like

Gosh. Another thing I’d love to play with. It seems like those metal clays are a creativity explosion.

1 Like