What are best ways to remove yellow ochre?

Hi,

does anyone have advise on how to remove yellow ochre after soldering, other than abrasives, especially in crevices…?

any help would be greatly appreciated!

julie

hi,

here i am answering my own question again!

apparently there is no easy way to remove yellow ochre!

i have been reading archives…and am going to buy Stop Flow…or! Rhonda Coryell’s Masking Mud!

julie

Are you using this to stop the flow of solder I use white out it work great. I put it on let it dry and use flux and solder. Vince LaRochelle

1 Like

hi!
dies it remove easily with water?

julie

1 Like

Soapy water and a soft baby toothbrush then pickle as usual. If there’s not too much, just pickle.

I used to pickle my ochred pieces, but then realized that the iron in the ochre was contaminating the pickle! I then began to boil the pieces in a baking soda saturated solution. This did remove the ochre. However, now I use Rhonda’s Mud and this CAN go in the pickle, if I need to pickle. Otherwise, I just wash the piece in hot water, and if there is remaining flux, I then use the baking soda solution.

Use non flammable Wite-Out. BIC makes it, subtitled “ecolutions”. It might be easier to find online than locally.

Ochre never worked for me because when heated it liquefied and flowed toward the solder and they mixed, which compromised the solder join. Is there a trick in how to use it?

hi

you are so right about the potential for the yellow ochre (even if dried first) wicking/ re-wetting if it comes in contact with the flux, and contaminating it.

another good reason to find a better solution!

julie

Do you use a barrier flux under ochre, Masking Mud or Wite-Out?

hi,
i will usually just brush on boric acid/ denatured alcohol everywhere except near the ochre areas…

(i usually use pripps/ prips as a spray on if no ochre being used…if i could guarantee the metal would be hit enough to “powder” it immediately i would use the pripps/prips but i am not alwas that good with it…)

julie

I usually just brush the ochre on with a small brush and then use a different brush to put the flux on after the ochre has dried (so they don’t mix). To remove, I just wash it in warm water and scrub with a toothbrush and then drop it in the ultrasonic. Sometimes I will have to use the steamer just to get the last bits out of the deep areas, but that’s largely it.

Keep in mind that anything you use to stop solder flow, like ochre, Rhonda’s product, wite-out, etc. is likely to mix with the flux, unless you apply the ‘stuff’ carefully (and with a separate brush), allow it dry, and then apply the flux.

When ochre is dry, if the barrier flux touches it, then the ochre absorbs the liquid, they mix and are compromised. How much space do you leave between where the ochre is painted and where the barrier flux is painted?

hi,

i just leave a tiny space…if they both get rewet, the capillary action “usually” keeps them separate as long as they dont touch…

julie

I use yellow ochre frequently for tubing with an “axle”. I dip into the barrier flux, paste flux the solder point and let it dry. I then apply the ochre, thin enough to run into the tube and use gravity so that it runs down the tube away from the solder joint. I have found that moving the tube after the ochre dries results in tube soldered to axle 80% of the time.

Philip,

When you dip it, is the barrier flux inside and outside the tube?

After the ochre is dry inside the tube, why does moving the tube occasionally affect the solder joint?

Hi Betty2
Yes, I dip the entire piece in boric acid and denatured alcohol and light it. While it’s still hot I apply the paste flux, it’ll dry faster. I’m guessing that a fairly liquid ochre mix washes away the barrier flux.

When the ochre is completely dry I think that the movement “cracks” and leaves unprotected silver that solder can adhere to especially when flux turn liquid.

I use Yellow ochre all the time, I find the best way is to have a dedicated pickle pot for orchred pieces. Then rinse with water and scrub with toothbrush.

1 Like

Toxic fumes tho

I also just use pickle to get rid of ochre. It helps to have a small, dedicated jar of pickle for that, as the ochre contains ferric chloride, which will contaminate your pickle. It does turn the pickle a beautiful shade of pink too!

I remember hearing once that white-out produces some pretty harmful fumes when heated, but I don’t have a source for that. It would probably be wise to look that up though before using it.