I have had some unusual health problems over the last year that have
had the docs scratching their heads. After much testing (seemed like
I’d run out of blood), it was decided that since I cut lots of rock
and work with metal (silver, copper, brass, a little gold, no casting
or etching), what the heck, I should be tested for heavy metals. As I
am very safety conscious (I’ve paid close attention to the advice on
this forum), I expected nothing of interest to come of it.
I was shocked when the results came back. Off the chart levels of
lead, very high levels of mercury, arsenic and cadmium (even a bit of
We’re now trying to figure how this could have happened - is it
something I did/am doing in the shop or more likely something I got
into somewhere else.
Have any of you tested positive for heavy metals (urine and blood
test, not hair analysis)? If so, did you trace it back to your
jewelry/lapidary work? How were you treated and how did it work out?