Tarnish Resistant Sterling?

Hello everyone,

I have used regular silver/copper sterling forever but I think now that I can alloy and roll my own stock, it is time to use one of the tarnish resistant sterling silvers on the market. I however am not sure which one to use. I want one that is simply a more tarnish resistant sterling, no other quirks (i.e Argentium) I would like one that preferably doesn’t cost to much more either and one that responds well to mechanical working. I also don’t want it to be to soft like some of the de-ox sterling alloys. I know there are alloys from Argentium, platinum and palladium sterlings, standard de-ox or proprietary blends such as S88. Which of these, if any, will meet my needs of an alloy with all the properties of sterling with increased tarnish resistance.

1 Like

I cannot address all of the tarnish resistant sterlings on the market, but can relay my experiences with Argentium. I am not a fan of this alloy because it never seems to reach the white luster of sterling after fabrication and then tarnishes slightly off-white and never seems to polish up again. Overall, I have not been pleased with it and prefer sterling for this reason. It’s a matter of choice and I’m sure many may disagree with my opinion of Argentium. For me, I prefer sterling, but am always looking for something better.

Having said this, I am looking forward to what impressions other contributors have about other tarnish resistant silver allows. Keeping sterling looking good is a chore.

Thanks ArgenumMoon for asking such a good question. I look forward to reading more comments.

1 Like

That’s good to know about Argentium. More problems than just it’s hot short behaviour! And thank you by the way. :slight_smile:

I am also not a fan of argentium. I am however a huge fan of Stullers Continuum. It has a beautiful color (lovely white-silver) and forges like sterling, as well as fuses without the Argentium hassle. It is harder for stone settings as well. It does cost a bit more but imho it is well worth it. You might check it out on their website. www.stuller.com

1 Like

This is an old relevant thread:

Janet in Jerusalem

1 Like

Yes I have heard about continuum. It is a palladium Sterling right? I thought platinum sterling silver was always superior to palladium sterling in terms of tarnish resistance, is this incorrect?

It is palladium silver. You might find a lot of useful info searching in Ganoksin for the topic “Stuller’s Continuum”. There have been many discussions on its use and experiments done on it by expert jewelers. Jo Haemer (spelling) uses it I believe and has commented on it in Ganoksin with useful information. I find it’s tarnish resistance is good. Better than the yellowish argentium.

Thank you, that is useful. It says it has more than 95% “precious metal content” does this include the palladium?

The tarnish shots are vert helpful! Thanks. For some reason here in the far northern part of the country, argentium turns yellow almost immediately here and it needs constant cleaning (like sterling). The continuum stays whiter longer. Must be this particilar area of the country? Interesting. We are arid but in the Bakken so may be sulphur in the air. Not sure.

What about using fine silver? That, while not resistant to sulphur, should resist oxygen pretty well! Though, Could you solder it? I imagine it would be impossible to fuse something like a tube setting to a base such as a ring, but what could you use to solder it and still mark it .999