Through a series of tragic errors I was forced to weld a shank very
close to some 1 pt. diamonds.
I opted to heatsink the stones rather than remove them on the off
chance that the worst wouldn’t happen, but it did. They’re only 1
pointers and the my cost of 'em is zero dollars so there’s only the
labor, (and had I removed them first…)
Anyway, I was told by someone that I could use hydrofluoric acid to
remove the coating that results from some magical fuming from
platinum. (I use LP and a niobium stick, etc. I haven’t the luxury of
a separate platinum room, but I take precautions as best I can.) I
found reagent grade hydrofluoric acid at a local chemical supply
house for close to $50.00 a pound, but the guy I work with & rent
from won’t allow it kept in his building. I think he thinks it’ll
cause a sort of “China syndrome” and kill everyone in the building
via osmosis or something.
I know it’s extremely dangerous and am loath to work with it, but
I’m not keen on unsetting these stones because if the tiny prongs
(bright-cut) snap off, there are even larger diamonds next to the 1
So I will try the acid.
Do any of you have any experience using this acid for this purpose?
What about using it to clean off merely overheated/burned (not
involving platinum) diamonds?
And aside from the usual precautions, i.e., rubber gloves, apron,
and a face shield & ventilation, and some sodium bicarbonate handy,
are there other tips or precautions you can offer.