Pepe rolling mill

My rolling mill doesn’t give as deep a print on my copper even using potter pancake dies
I have anealed the copper

Note From Ganoksin Staff:
Looking for a rolling mill tool for your jewelry projects? We recommend:

Not a pancake die
A texture plate

I use a Pepi and get good impressions started with Brass and have bought a few steel ones. I suppose it depends on what you are looking for. I have seen and still need to find time to try that a piece of card stock or two can help get a bit deeper impression. though I can do impressions that mark the back side of the copper I am using - thin roofing copper. I suspect a thick piece of 18 gage may be more of a challenge though. Bet you need to set very tight and really muscle the crank. I am also not doing strips but rather cut to size blanks for earrings. I will be trying strip soon also. Let us know how you do.

Its been my experience that for the best impression “less is more”. You need just enough pressure to make the impression. Cranking it down tight so you can barely move the handle does not give me a good print. Close the rollers on your piece of annealed metal just until it catches in the rollers. Then I wrap the metal in several wraps of paper towel or sandwich in leftover cards from shows/sales. Try that if the print is not pleasing, snug down a little… an 8th or 4 turn. Practice so you learn how it feels when its at the sweet spot for rolling!

Aurora

My rolling mill doesn’t give as deep a print on my copper even
using potter pancake dies

1 Like

Thank you will give it a tru

I discovered that truth. Bent my mild steel texture plate. And the card stock/paper backing made a huge difference too.

Sarah

Note From Ganoksin Staff:
Looking for a rolling mill tool for your jewelry projects? We recommend: