I’m the one with the oxy generator - everflo. Couldn’t get my torch to let off enough propane (1lb tank) to meet the lowest setting of the oxy generator. So the flame constantly went out. I’ve spent months trying to make it work. I’m going to retool. I’ve wasted enough time on this. Could I buy a 5lb propane canister and use it with an oxy generator or do I have to buy a different torch (I have a little smith). If I can keep the oxygen generator, I’ll need my old propane regulator, flashbacks and that should be it, correct? One propane tank wouldn’t be the end of the world. Any advice is most appreciated.
- List item
As long as it is liquid, propane pressure at the tank is the same regardless of the volume. It will vary a bit with temperature. Go ahead and try your 5 lb tank with a regulator and see what happens. I suspect that your problem is either with your torch or that your O2 concentrator isn’t producing enough O2. Does it have a low O2 alarm? It might be an audible signal, a light or both. Just some thoughts…Rob
a thought…is your 1lb tank new?…old?…try weighting it …how much does it weigh?…
There’s no alarm on this machine making it a bit difficult. However, I’ve tried 2 new bottles of 14 oz propane and 1lb pound. The 1 lb gets a good small flame with .05 oxy. Any more and it blows out. It’s just not very versitile. I don’t need to melt things, but I do need consistency of flow. Whenever I move the torch it blows out. The problem is either the torch or the lack of propane given off. The oxygen level is fine.
See my note to Ron. All brand new bottles.
I am having difficulty following this.
I am using an older EverFlo concentrator that I found. No history on it at all. It works.
I run it at @2#, and use 1# disposable propane for everything that I do in my trade shop, barring Platinum.
For PT, I use the laser.
I have a set of Paige tips, and mostly use the M4 tip, for soldering and even scrap melting.
There are days when getting the tip to hold a good flame can be a struggle and then I back way off on the propane, and very slowly add oxygen, until the tip is hot. After that it nearly always works great. Some days it does take several tries to get a good hot torch.
There are days when I find I need to just Stop, and clean the tip out. I wipe the tip, and then run very fine iron binding wire through each of the small jets, which nearly always resolves any issues with the torch extinguishing itself.
I have no more suggestions for you other than to again suggest that the problem may be with your O2 concentrator. I looked at the manual for your concentrator on line and it indicates that it should have a low O2 alarm. They don’t just stop working, they just blow out air. When my concentrator first starts up, it blows out the flame until a high level of O2 is reached. You might try to find someone who will let you attach your torch to their working system and see what happens. I know that this could be a challenge. The only other person I know with whom I could do this is my brother. You sound very frustrated. I wish you luck…Rob
Thank you Ringdoctor. I do think there’s probably a lot to getting the torch tip hot first. A construction contractor came over today and looked at it. He had the exact same problem I did (the minimum oxygen would take out the propane flame. He could get the flame 2" long neutral, but we couldn’t get it any further. Maybe if I keep it hot for another 15 minutes it would. He thought the problem was the Smith regulator (for disposable 1lb tanks) was not sufficiently sensitive, so you can’t really regulate the flow of propane and that’s the ultimate problem. I’ll try and keep 2" flame and see if I can make that work. It’s not bushy - just neutral.
Thank you Rob for all your help on this. I am frustrated. See my note to Ring Doctor. I just want to solder! If someone would create a better regulator for the 1lb tanks that would help a lot. The oxygen generator works fine. It definitely brings the oxygen through the torch. It’s the not so sensitive propane torch flame that seems to be the problem. It’s not sensitive, not sensitive as I reduce the flame and then it’s gone. Having read everyones reaction who has this set up, its common.
I’ve already confessed that I have zero experience with oxygen generators or the Paige torch tips. I do have extensive experience with the original Little Torch with bottled oxygen/propane though.
This probably isn’t the problem, but it is one thing that no one has suggested yet. Could your torch tip or tips be dirty? It only takes the tiniest bit of grit to totally mess up a torch tip with such a small orifice. At this point it sure wouldn’t hurt to clean your torch tips in an ultrasonic and then blow them out. Blow them out front to back to push any hidden debris out. After all you’ve gone through, cleaning your torch tips is worth a try.
I’m so sorry this has turned into such a frustrating situation for you! I wish I could be more help, but it’s great that many forum members are sharing their wisdom and experience.
Don’t give up! Every problem has a solution!
I haven’t followed this thread but I will offer this as a possible solution. The Smith Propane regulator you mention is the same model Rob and I use and speaking for myself I have found it to be trouble free. The O2 concentrator is more likely a concern from my experience. When I am first starting the torch for the first time in the day I need to run the concentrator for a minute for two to purge the system of room air. Otherwise it simply blows out the propane. I run a real strong pressure on my concentrator. I haven’t tried cutting that back to see if there is a difference in how the torch lights up. Perhaps that will be my Saturday morning experiment.
Bought an ultrasonic and cleaned all the Paige tips. No difference. Because I have a very strong propane flame that can blow out with a little oxygen, I have to assume at this point, the problem is with the refurbished (2) oxygen generators! Oy vei. I’m not buying another one at this point. Any further recommendations? I am very grateful you all have stayed with my drama. Thank you. Celia
The only other thing to check is the needle valves in the torch itself. If the needle valve for the oxy line is damaged it may be letting too much oxygen through as soon as it’s opened.
This is unlikely to be the issue, but it doesn’t hurt to check. If the valve is faulty and the torch still under warranty, Smith should send you a free replacement.
Have you tried backing way off on the propane, and then adding very little oxygen, until the torch is hot?
There are days when I have to start the torch out this way. Once I have used it for a while on low, I can boost the heat significantly.
i found that if i turned on the oxy concentrator for a couple of moments first …then i just crack the oxy a tiny bit before i turn on my fuel(in this case nat gas) and light. might have to try twice to get my flame adjusted
I probably missed it earlier… but have you hooked up your torch to a small disposable oxygen canister? If that works you’ll know with certainty that the torch and valves are fine and the generator is the problem. Or vice versa.
My guess would be that your problem is NOT the oxygen concentrators. The odds of two refurbished ones both not working are not large and usually the concentrator will start beeping if the oxygen level is low because there is a sensor that measures that as part of the safety features of the concentrator. That’s the main way they fail. So I would tend to look elsewhere first. You could probably also get the folks you bought the concentrators from to check them. -royjohn
It’s not still under warranty but how would I check to see if the needle valve was damaged. I’ve replaced everything but the torch at this point.
Did you find any difference Don?
I worked on it again last night. Can’t get anything except a neutral flame and it doesn’t show enough oxygen to oxidate. It just goes out. No bushy flame. I tried annealing a small piece of 22 gauge silver and it just sat there despite 5 minutes of flame.