My torch drama ends soon

I wish I could but they are in Tenn and I’m in California. Can one buy an oxygen output meter to put on the output tip?

No - i’m using an oxygen generator. I’ve switched out the first one when the oxygen was too strong for a second, but having the same problem. It may be the torch valves. Is there a way to check the propane valve on the torch? Safely?

Did the torch ever run properly? Or have you only tried the torch with the two concentrators?

1 Like

To continue where MJC left off.
Have the torch ever worked?
In other words did you ever use it in an working condition?
If so is it possible to set it back to that condition and start trouble shooting from there?

Hi CeliaH,

question…as MJC mentioned…have you tested your little torch with regular compressed oxygen tank, and the 1lb disposable propane with the disposable tank regulator…just to rule out a problem with those items?

have you looked at rmeixners website which shows his setup for check valves, etc?

(…sorry if you already mentioned this…)

here also is a link to a very informative orchid post

julie

1 Like

It worked beautifully for a couple of years with a 5lb propane tank, a b oxygen tank, regularators and flashback arrestors. Now with the disposable propane, the disposable regulator, new disposable flashback arrestors and the oxygen generator - it doesn’t work

It worked beautifully for a couple of years with a 5lb propane tank, a b oxygen tank, regulators and flashback arrestors. Now with the disposable propane, the disposable regulator, new disposable flashback arrestors and the oxygen generator with check valve

• it doesn’t work.
1 Like

It worked beautifully for a couple of years with a 5lb propane tank, a b oxygen tank, regularators and flashback arrestors. Now with the disposable propane, the disposable regulator, new disposable flashback arrestors and the oxygen generator - it doesn’t work

1 Like

Maybe you might try restarting every one of your changes from the beginning, but doing so just one change at a time?
This might highlight where the problem starts to appear?
There is always an answer, and it is often so small and so basic that we overlook it, expecting something major.
Always start with the small possibilities, testing each step, rather than jump to worst case scenarios.
It is far cheaper to clean a carburetor on a car or motorcycle, or to change the plugs, than rebuild an engine that does not need to be rebuilt.
Did you use fine wire to clean the orifices in your tips?
I do not recall ever ultrasonic cleaning any torch tips, but even when I was welding and cutting steel with oxy/acc. I had to routinely clean every port on my torch tips with wire. That often made a huge difference in the output!
I too, often start a work cycle, struggling to get my torch tips to light correctly, without the O2 pressure extinguishing my flame. It very often takes me doing a “soft start”, with a very modest flame, before I can begin to really “crank up the heat”, but it sounds like you are using pretty much the exactly same components that I do in my small trade shop.
There is a solution, and I am willing to bet it can be solved without shovelling $$ at the problem.

5 Likes

What you point at here is the troubleshooting 101.
Go back and get things running again and then change one thing at a time and you will find the culprit.

3 Likes

All good advice. I do clean my tips in my ultrasonic cleaner and it makes a big difference. Then there is the #2 Paige tip that, up inspection after it seemed to quit working, I ruined fusing the edges of heavy copper cuff bracelets…Rob

2 Likes

Do you have gauges or the special regulators for disposable tanks?

1 Like

I’ve seen in other fb threads that the oxygen generator needs to run for at least 5 minutes to stabilize and produce an adequate flow.

1 Like

What size tip are you using? The smaller the tip the easier it “blows itself out”. I would try it with a #4 or 5 and see if that helps.
Unless you refill your 1# propane yourself it’s environmentally unsound. The 5# bottles are refillable and cheap enough to keep a spare outside. Not a good idea to have the tank in the house. You could plumb it through the wall if your studio is in a garage or outbuilding.
Good luck! Keep us posted!

1 Like

can you just go back to your old system?.. if the flame is blowing out, it could be that the propane supply is dropping… have you tried turning the 02 off and just running propane and watching what happens? if the the flame dies, then not enough propane is coming thru…

try one gas at a time… no propane, and run the 02… of course it won’t burn, but you should be able to feel the flow of gas…if both gases are flowing individually and okay, then there must be something wrong with the mechanism that regulates the gas/02 mixture…

2 Likes

A Little Smith Disposable regulator - no gauges, just a knob, fyi. Need it to be fully on (Per instructions). Otherwise it doesn’t work.

There’s plenty of propane when it’s on alone. I can have it at 8" (!) or 2". It’s when I turn on the OXY at the lowest possible range (after heating the torch up for 5 minutes) that it blows immediately out.

I agree with you about the mechanism that regulates the mixture is the problem - problem is, I’ve replaced the Little Smith Disposable Propane Regulator twice - both did the same. Could it be inside the torch?

I have been using an old Everflow for 6 years, when I have this problem it’s caused by too much pressure in the oxygen line. Try opening up your oxygen line and let it bleed off for about 20 - 30 seconds, shut down that line and then open the propane and light that. Get your flame in some semblance of where you want it and then open the oxygen and adjust the two. If you start out with a strong propane flame, it could also go out because there is too much combined pressure in the line. In my case, it has always been caused by a pressure build up in the oxy line. This requires a bit of finesse in the beginning, but in a short time it will become standard procedure for you. I hate to see you give up on this.

BTW, I never run the oxy con with the line closed. The pressure builds fast. That being said, it will scream at you loudly if you do that! After all, it was built as a safe means to provide oxygen to patients.

I found a video from Nancy Hamilton on setting up and using an oxy con. She is a wealth of information and VERY entertaining on all topics jewelry. I am a big fan!

2 Likes

The flow of oxygen is too high. That could mean that the regulator is giving you too much pressure or it could be that the knob flow valve that is on the handle is not working properly… try and turn it on without the propane and see if you feel a strong jet of oxygen even when turned way down… if that’s the case, the needle or the seat in the valve could be defective
I already assume that you have tried a different tip and have gotten the same blow out… If other tips work fine, then the tip is no good.

1 Like