A member recently asked about metals in the microwave, regarding
safety. I’m not sure why it used to be so, but seems not to be the
case so much, anymore. Apparently, it is being done. Years ago, a
person in my life put some food in our old unit that was wrapped
with aluminum foil. The oven promptly blew a fuse.
Recently, the guys on the television show ‘Mythbusters’ put it to
the test. I don’t remember the final result, but they did put some
foil in one and not much happened…at first. After the first
attempt, they folded (corrugated, actually), a large piece of foil,
and got some very pretty arcing (sparks). The effect varied with the
size of the corrugations. A crumpled ball of foil lent an effect
that sort of resembled the “plasma ball” that has been mentioned in
If anyone decides to try this, it would probably be a good idea to
use a microwave oven you can live without. I’d also suggest using a
very long stick to push the ‘on’ button, as well…just in case.
Um…I don’t know if they used heavy duty foil, freezer foil, or
just regular old aluminum foil.
James in SoFl