Back to Ganoksin | FAQ | Contact

Microwave in the Jewelry Studio

Hi Judy,

Just a note: It can be very dangerous to microwave water. The
water can get superheated not boil until it gets disturbed and then
can release the energy spontaneously when moved.

I’m not one to be paranoid about such things but just wanted to let
you know.

http://www.snopes.com/science/microwav.htm

Mark

   It can be very dangerous to microwave water.  The water can get
superheated not boil until it gets disturbed and then can release
the energy spontaneously when moved 

I think that pertains to very smooth surfaces, as in brand new coffee
mugs. If the interior surface is a bit ‘scruffed’ up from repeated
use and washing, it shouldn’t be a problem. I did have a surprise,
scalding eruption once, but it was with a new, pristine mug. Scary ,
though!

Margery