As relates to jewelry use, that is: boric acid and alcohol, cleaning
agent, pitch solvent, fuel for jewelers alcohol lamps, etc., what is
the practical difference between methyl and denatured alcohol?
I have read that denatured is ethyl alcohol that has been made unfit
for drinking by the addition of small amounts of toxic additives.
That it is flammable and can be used as a cleaning solvent for
And that methyl alcohol is a very simple alcohol linked, I believe
to oxygen molecules. This is also flammable and good for use in
certain types of camping stoves, jewelers alcohol lamps, etc.
Both are toxic.
But in practical usage in the jewelry studio does it matter which
one is used?
Thanks for your informed answers.