I tried just exactly that stunt 10-15 years ago. It works…sorta.
I’m sure the original prototype Matt gun was in fact a frankenformed
gluegun, but the hassle factor of doing it now versus the cost of a
’real’ matt gun didn’t net out well. (I spent about $50 on the power
control and voltage meter, nevermind time, and machining up custom
So, yes, the matt pellets fit into a standard gluegun. Which is
waaay too hot. So you have to build a rheostat to tone it down. (I
added a volt meter for repeatability.) Then you need to machine custom
nozzles for the gluegun, as gluegun nozzles are far too wide. One
thing that was neat was that I found a bunch of “decorative” gluegun
nozzles at a local crafts store. One of them spits out ribbon, one
does 5 little streams side-by-side, etc. Most interesting when done
I had a real matt gun at the school where I was teaching at the
time, and I had my hotwired gluegun. Fancy nozzles aside, the real
Matt gun worked better. It turns out that simple rear mounted ramrod
that they use for pressure works better (for wax extrusion) than the
trigger feed on a gluegun.
For whatever that all’s worth.