Just for fun last summer a friend and I tried some steam casting.
This came about after a discussion as to whether or not it really
worked. Both of us traditionally use our centrifuges and vacuums, and
doubted that such a simple method as steam casting would work. We
made our caster out of a large jar lid attached to a 1" dowel.
However, we used my regular burnout kiln and not the flower pot,
electric plate. Also we used our regular flasks and not the tin cans
that some sources recommend. There was a limit to just how low tech
we wanted to go.
We followed the instructions in Tim McCreight’s book, and to our
amazement got good castings. The biggest problem was working with the
recommended thin sprues. I think we used 16 and 18 gauge.
I would definitely recommend that anyone who has avoided lost wax
casting because of the expense involved with all the equipment try
It is certainly a good way to use one’s scrap metal.
Will I switch to using steam casting instead of my centrifuge and
Probably not, but it is good to know of alternative methods.