Lily (Lilly?) Root Powder fo Cloissone enamel

Does anyone know of a supplier for this?

Coral Shaffer at Enamelwork Supply tells me she no longer stocks this.

If nobody knows then perhaps the experts around can suggest a similar gum that will work as well.

That may have been gum tragacanth. You can get it from better artist supply shops. It’s used in water gilding on parchment.

What Elliot said.
-Jo

Nope, I think that gum tragacanth comes from a very different plant and does’t have the same “grip."

Tony Konrath
tonykonrath@mac.com

what about gum arabic - from the acacia tree.

Gum tragacanth can be obtained from leather
tooling supply companies.

Gum Tragacanth is also used by cake makers as an edible glue to stick ornaments on cakes. I get it from bakery suppliers.

Try “Blu Stic” from Thompson Enamel through Rio Grande. I’ve seen it demonstrated, haven’t worked with it yet, but it was billed as able to hold cloisonné wire even in vertical situations. Lily root is used for vertical wire, this is the modern equivalent.

They used to sell both gum tragacanth and gum arabic in all decent arts supplies store–they are used for so many things.

Janet in Jerusalem

A quick internet search turns up illy root powder as an astringent. Amazon has it.
-Jo Haemer

From “The Art of Enameling” by Linda Darty-

pg 111 - “lily root powder aka lotus root powder”

Yes, Amazon has several varieties.
Bob

I’m so sorry to be “picky" about this but although I can find capsules available on Amazon I can’t locate “lily root powder.”

So if someone (with greater technical ability than myself) could send me a link to the product I would be most grateful.

I know that another possible material is “Lotus root powder” but this is a starch rather than a gum.

I’ve used gum tragacanth many times but I’m looking for a sturdier gum that will burn out clean in my kiln.

Many thanks, in advance, to anyone who’s not frustrated by my emails and replies to this.

Tony- Have you tried dilute Elmer’s glue?
-Jo Haemer

I have been in a class taught by Linda Darty this week at Revere Academy. She showed us how to use the regular Elmer’s glue (NOT the school glue, just the normal one), mixed with water to a milky consistency. It works great. There’s also Blu-Stic from Thompson Enamel

These folks sold lotus root powder until a couple of years ago - http://www.enamelworksupply.com/
I notice they now sell Blu-Stic. Might be worth a call, if you want to pursue this.
Please don’t take this the wrong way- but at some point you just have to start experimenting and using personal empirical data. , Your problem may not be the strength of the adhesive: it could be your prep work up to that point and bad technique. Those problems can only be solved by time and experience.
Bob

Yes, I had a workshop with Linda a couple of week’s ago through my Enamel Guild Northeast group and she stated regular Elmer’s glue. The blue glue sold is simply Elmer’s with bluing in it.

Tony a cursory google search came up with this
White Pond Lily Root, Powder, 16 oz - Penn Herb Co. Ltd. i don’t know if
it is the same product you are in search of. If it is, there you go. If
not, I will keep my eyes open

Thanks Bob,

No offense taken!

I’ve been enameling for over 40 years and I do experiment and that’s why I want to try the Lily root powder.

Tony Konrath
tonykonrath@mac.com

Tony
Thank you for not taking offense. I think in the internet age things are often misinterpreted.
In the Linda Darty book, she says lily root is the same as lotus root powder. That would mean it is a naturally occurring botanical source. I can tell you from my previous life as a pharmacist that active ingredient potency can vary greatly between naturally occurring samples. That may be why lily root aka lotus root powder went out of favor. It seems to me most folks have gone to Blu-stick. It is interesting that folks are using watered down Elmer’s- that is something glass fusers have been using for a long time. Neat to see how craft work can cross pollinate.

Bob

Sorry I didn’t answer this right away. Lily and iris root powder is essentially the same thing. The most available one is orris root. It is also the fixitive in making perfumes. Here is a link to an herbal place in Oregon that I have used many times.

Remember it is most important to all of us to protect our backs. the delay was due to blowing out my back while making a fancy filigree bracelet. Spent too much time cussing the little wires when they jumped out of place.

Aggie out of the hospital, in Florida (at least it was air conditioned and no humidity)