How to repair a small thin ring with amethyst stone on it?

Hi fellows,
I have a ring very thin made out of sterling silver. Amethyst sits with prongs on top, 6 by 8 oval.
The back of the ring - part opposite to the stone- consists of two wire like pieces, about 1.5 - 2 millimeters wide and 1 millimeter thick. One of this wires broke. I need to repair this. This ring is a favorite object of my favorite mother in law.
I am a coward, and I am afraid to take the stone off. Any recommendations how to do it?
P.s. I use acetylene torch.
Any help will be appreciated
Boris

sounds like a fairly straight forward repair.
you will be able to solder the back (inside finger) side of the ring without removing the stone.
try soldering with the head submerged in water using sand or spring tongs to keep it upright leaving as much of the shank out the water as you can.
silver needs a hotter torch than gold with this method but as the shank is thin you will be ok. acetylene is a very hot flame so start low and increase as needed to avoid problems.

Hi Boris
Can you send a picture?
Franz

I do quite a bit of repair work, and when soldering, whether sizing or repairing sterling silver rings, that contain heat sensitive stones, after cleaning and fluxing the joint, I bury the gemstone down into a soft lump of Wolf Clay, and solder the exposed and prepared shank.

I prefer the Wolf Clay to water, or dampened paper towels as it does a great job of protecting the gemstone, but does not produce the envelope of steam which the other methods do, which keeps my flame more steady and concentrated. This translates to getting in, flowing the solder well, and getting out far more quickly than using water as my heat sink.

1 Like

I simply use toilet paper that is wet. Super easy. Cover the stone
completely and a little of the shank. Use a locking tweezers of some sort
to hold it and then solder with a hot flame. Make it quick. I do this all
the time for everything with colored gems.
Shannon

Hi Boris,
The normal reply link doesnt work so im replying direct.
now, lots of folk have made proper repair suggestions, all are sound,
but no one has said the following.
It seems without a picture of this ring its a cheap? maybe made item,
so you really need to consider scrapping it and remaking it in proper
thicker sterling metal.
After all, it pays to keep in the good books of any mother in law.
Falling out with them is a quick way to being excluded from your
domestic rights we all like a nice hot dinner when we come in after a
hard days work… Doing a special job for her! is a good investment.
what do you think?
Ted.
who has had 2 mother in laws.

I personally like Ted’s response. I have rebuilt a few stone set rings using thicker sterling when they’ve broken due to poor design, then reset the stone into the new ring. I think it’s a much better solution to the problem. Otherwise, the same thing is going to happen again, and guess who’ll get the blame? Yes, you will, even if you’ve done exactly as asked of you.

All the best with it.

Helen
UK

The question that I responded to, and attempted to answer involved “how to”, and not what would I suggest to the customer.

Were the customer and the ring in front of me, I would be dealing with more than “how to”, but that was not the question.

With 40+ years of repair behind me I am all too familiar with customer’s sentiment forcing a less than an ideal route.
I explain the differences, the reasons behind, and the options, as well as any hazards, and if applicable, TSOD warranties (This Side Of the Door), but the customer has the final say, as long as I do not turn the job away, which I am not afraid to do.

1 Like

Same here.
The op has already stated he is not confident removing the stone from the setting so i am assuming (with no offence intended) his skills are limited. maybe he could attempt to remake an identical ring first while it is in front of him to gain some practice first…

Very good advise! Thank you. But it happens that she is in love with this ring as it is. She likes the lightness and “air” in the ring. But I really appreciate your advice.
-Boris

You are correct - my skills are VERY limited,

Ruuuun!!! Run away fast!!! At the very least give to to a repair pro who
has a laser.
Sometimes the hardest thing to learn in jewelry is when to say “No”.
Have fun and make lots of jewelry.
-Jo Haemer
www.timothywgreen.com

A pro with a laser? This sounds like jewelry repair 101.
If not confident then dont start practising on your in laws prised possessions but this suggestion sounds a bit ott for a silver ring.
Im sure your local store can sort it no problem.

Local store? Perhaps local trade shop. A store will charge retail. Retail
is for chumps:-)
Jo

jesus mate it was just a reply. store/ trade shop whatever. if the op works with trade then fair enough take it to his local trade shop, yes “retail is for chumps” (they send me repairs and we both make good money but thats a different story), if you dont know anyone in the trade to take your one off repair too then your kinda screwed arent you?
more to the point though “a pro with a laser” is a bit over the top with a basic repair like this and most guys with a laser charge for that privilage.

Hi Boris,
It seems your in a cleft stick on this one. Your going to have to do it.
However, there is a way round this.
you need to setup trials with some sterling wire the same thickness
and dia as the repair. Set it up in the sand thats under the water to
hold it in place with the joint uppermost in the air… Then try to join
this as many times as you need to get your technique right before you
do it to the ring.
Report back here with your results before we give you the go ahead to do
the ring.
Ted.

Guys and Girls,
you are amazing! Thank you for your help!
I was able to repair this ring without any problems using wet/soaked toilet paper!

THANK YOU!!!

1 Like

I have always used H2O but will try the Wolf Clay. So far it is great for Argentium.

Hello Ringdoctor,
I have been looking for Wolf Soldering Clay but have been unable to find a supplier who sells it. I’ve checked Kate Wolf’s website and searched her vendors list looking for someone who carries it, but have had no success locating it. Do you know where I can purchase it? Or, do you know if she’s discontinued making it?

Best regards,

D. Rennolds

D. Rennolds,

I bought mine through Ronda Coryell’s website, under Store, then Tools and Supplies.

https://www.rondacoryelldesigns.com/online-store/Tools-and-Supplies-c21508275

She also carries her own Masking Mud, which I much prefer over WhiteOut for protection when soldering.

(No affiliation. Happy customer.)

Tricia