Well, I said it was less toxic, not less hazardous. I was
referring to the iron content,which can cause permanent liver and
other organ damage, and according to many sources can be absorbed
Yes you can be poisoned by too much iron but it is a major component
of your blood. Like anything else it is all about how much you are
exposed to. In our use the likelihood of getting anywhere near toxic
levels is nil, unless you do something really stupid like drink it.
Long term exposure in small amounts could be particularly
Could be? based on what, again you have a large amount of iron in
your body so adding small amounts over a prolonged period of time it
is going to do what?
It's also fairy corrosive, though not as corrosive as muriatic.
That is the whole point isn’t it, you are corroding away the metal
when you etch it.
Also, the muriaticnacid sold in hardware stores is generally 40%
or less concentration, so not the same as for example as 100% pure
(fuming) hydrochloric acid.
There is not a 100% hydrochloric acid in liquid form, hydrochloric
acid is a mixture of hydrogen chloride (a gas) and water. It is very
difficult to buy HCL in higher concentration than 36-40 % even when
purchased from chemical supply vendors. That is because it is very
hard to keep the gas in equilibrium with the water and it just
evaporates away rapidly.
The only difference between hardware store muriatic acid and what
you pay big bucks for as reagent grade HCL from the chemical supply
is the amount of tramp materials in it like iron and other metals.
The concentrations of hydrogen chloride are basically the same.
James Binnion Metal Arts