Back to Ganoksin | FAQ | Contact

Erich C. Shoemaker - Jewelry Gallery

Breathtaking! I love the granulation with oxidized silver.

Thank you rdemartinphotodesign!

Nautilus Rings inspired by Capt. Nemo’s submarine the Nautilus from 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Crafted in my Sterling Fathoms Silver (silver from a shipwreck recovered from 15,500ft.)

What a great backstory! Where on earth (or sea) did you get that shipwreck
silver?

Noralie

Hi Noralie,

Thanks for the compliment :slight_smile:

There are a number of shipwrecks with various coins and bullion that have been discovered over the years. In this case, I decide to see which one I could find that had been the deepest for the Marianas Collection line. I discovered that there was a ship (the SS Gairsoppa) that sank in 15,500ft of water carrying silver bullion during WWII. The silver was recovered and can be purchased at various places these days as collector bullion. So I purchased some 1oz pieces and alloyed it into Sterling silver for the collection.

For my 18k work, I sourced silver and copper from the Atocha (a treasure galleon that sank of Key West during a hurricane in 1622) and alloyed that with 24k to get my 18k Treasure Gold.

Thanks again!
Erich

Hi Erich,
Great sourcing on the shipwreck materials.
How to you keep the chain of provenance going from the bullion to the client?
(great work too…! )
Thanks, Jim

Hi Jim,

Thanks again for compliment. It means a lot coming from someone of your caliber!

As for provenance, I’ve created a stamp for each alloy that I mark the pieces with to indicate their origins, but beyond that I haven’t fussed to much about it. I probably should do more in terms of a cert or something, but since those are only worth as much as you trust the person that issued it in the first place, I’ve decided to keep things simple and just go with the mark for the time being.

Thanks again!
Erich

I spent the past few days photographing and editing pics of some of my jewelry as I have a serious backlog of pieces that need it. So since I’m working at the computer the next few days, I’ll post a few more pieces here.

Granulated 18K with Tahitian pearls and diamonds

Granulated 18K with akoya pearls, blue topaz, and apatite

Blue-green tourmaline and diamonds in 18K granulated gold

Blue sapphire cab and diamond earring studs in my granulated 18K Treasure Gold (gold alloyed with silver and copper from the Spanish galleon Nuestra Señora de Atocha sunk in 1622 during a hurricane off Key West, FL)

Man…
I love your work !!!
Jim

Thanks so much Jim! (sorry for the delayed reply. . … I’ve been out all day doing some Christmas shopping for the kids).

A pair of granulated amethyst earrings with ruby “berries” in my 18K Treasure Gold.

I Love the scroll…That has to be one of the hardest forms to master, it’s so common, yet so poorly done most of the time.
You nailed it.
Best,
Jim

Thank you very much! To be honest, I’m absolutely horrid at organic forms. I’ve always had an eye for the geometric, but as you mentioned, scrolls are so common I figured I should at least try to learn how to make them. I got a few books and scoured the internet for images and tried to figure it out and it probably took me FAAAAR longer than it should have, but I finally got some very amateur basics half-way figured out. I’ve actually only drawn probably 15-20 scrolls in my life because I have a very hard time being creative with them (making them flow somewhere new, intersect differently, etc), but I decided I wanted to see if I could carve them in gold instead of just draw or engraving them. These earrings were my first crack at that so I’m very grateful that for the compliment! Thanks Jim!

Hi Erich,
They are tough, but fun too… Acanthus leaves are a great start, kind of the foundation for most gun engraving forms, early Greek artists did very well with these.
I kind get a kick out of Starbucks’ decore, I call it “COFFEE HOUSE CHIC” it’s really reversing s curves, adding little flourishes in periodically.
Bernoulli’s increasing diameter scale is really useful, helps with flow.
I’m a big fan of early wrought iron, I use it a lot in platinum fabrication.
I like the end terminus’ as well as the clamping or wrap pink elements.
It probably never ends…scrolling through life…
J

Erich, your classic designs are just lovely and the granulation adds such a wonderful dimension and frame. Thoroughly enjoyed the comments too.

Thank you very much Judy! I really appreciate it. :slight_smile:

I would really like to see how this was made