Die for producing logo jewellery

Greetings from Vancouver Island!

I have made logo themed jewellery for many years and using a photo process have had Magnesium / Zinc metal plates made to start the process.

Thinking about possibly having a laser etched die made to increase the depth and detail.

Has anyone used this process and if so any recommended business’s to make them?

Also cad/cam is a possibility … Another process I have had zero experience with

Thank you for any help or suggestions

TerryV

Many “logo” pieces have been cast from metal molds made on Gorton P1-2 precision pantomills. This includes things like high school class rings, military etc. With an experienced operator and a high pressure injector crisp, professional pieces can be done. I’m sure that today CAD/CAM could be used to cut molds. The problem is shooting the wax. I know that there are manufacturers that have that ability but don’t think they do outside work.
Bench top plastic injectors are ideal but pricey. I use an open top wax injector with hand pump. That and creative venting can make it work for small runs.

1 Like

Phil … Thank you … I have a nice little hand pump wax injector as well, but honestly it does not give me waxes that are sharp enough for my liking so I currently use a 2 dimensional mold produced from the printing magnesium die and use dental inlay wax to make each piece. Its a slow process and though results are decent, I still reject 1/2 the waxes I make because of deformities like bubbles in the surface.
I sure would like to find a better process… Thanks again… Terry

Hi Terry,
You might consider sending someone with a really good commercial wax injector your mold to see if they could get a better, sharper fill on it. It can get a little tricky and depend on the wax used, pressure, how you hold the mold between the two metal plates, etc. Maybe your pump injector would work fine with a different wax or a change in technique…maybe someone will chime in here with a suggestion…otherwise, I’d suggest you call your wax supplier. Someone like Rio would probably have a help desk that might provide suggestions. -royjohn

Terry you might want to check with some places in Metro Vancouver that make magnesium dies for hot foil stamping.

Greg,
Vancouver…

A magnesium acid etched mold will not give you a “sharp” wax. Neither will a high dollar wax injector. We used a table top plastic injector made by Sinplomatic with Epolene about 175F as I recall. But in a low volume situation your hand pump wax injector should be fine. Venting is the key. I’ve used tiny (#60 or smaller) drill bits to drill a hole to the outside of the mold. Then from the outside use a large cone burr and go within 2mm or so of the mold cavity. Be sure to silicone spray it. Put a flat piece of plexiglass or 1/8” aluminum plate. When the wax is shot into the mold the air is displaced into the “cone cavity”. Pop the cone shape wax out with a dental tool or similar. The pattern should now fill out completely.
Also, instead of an acid etched magnesium mold have a CAD mold or model made. You can make a hard mold very simply.

WOW, this is truly enlightening … I should try it with some existing moulds I have! So basically I “excavate” some channels outside the actual mold … You mean from the outer (flat) edges to that some air escapes through these channels while the injection is proceeding ? I just reread what you said … So the mould cavity is drilled out with tiny #60 drills then enlarged using the cone burr… I’ll give this a try
Many Thanks

Terry

Thanks Greg!

Yes, this is how I have been handling the mold making for years, but trying to step things up a notch!
I appreciate your input

Terry

I found that going on the flat to the outside of mold does little to improve the wax. I would shoot a wax with my hand pump wax pot, with as much pressure as I can. When I pull the wax the places where it trapped air is obvious. Drill a hole through there. On the outside of mold use a large cone burr and cut down to within a couple of mm. Spritz it well. Use a backplate on the mold. When you shoot the wax the “cone” fills with wax that pushed the air out. Pop it out with a scribe. Use sticky wax to pull the wax.