Box Rings and Modifications

Alec - Nicely done. In particular, I enjoyed the photo progression. Thank you for posting.

@Alec

Was the focus of your original post, to end the pattern at the apex of a sine curve?

I’ll have to wait until after tax day to think about your “Ring Profiles” post.

I find it really interesting how you start with a sine curve, but when the ring is formed and soldered, it sits flat on the bench, with perfectly flat sides. I tried making a box ring once and made the template with a series of straight lines. Now I understand why that didn’t work!!! Thank you for sharing this.

Helen
UK

1 Like

Hi Alec

thanks so much for sharing this! I googled sine curve definition, and looked at the wikipedia link.

down the page, after all the technical information, there is a video clip that illustrates a sine curve being created that really helped me to picture it!

Julie

“there is a video clip that illustrates a sine curve being created that really helped me to picture it!”

I would like to view the video, not seeing where to view it?

Hi Richard,

click on the blue “sine” inside the “box” link I posted. It will take you to the Wikipedia link.

then, scroll down a bit and you will see an animation clip of a circle rolling left to right.
there is a point on the circle, that, as the circle rotates and rolls to the right, the point is “drawing” out the sine curve…

Julie

I would seriously love to know what that hell this all means. I have a headache though and I’m going to get some alcohol to make it go away. I think maths hurts me, and the only tan I was familiar with, due to a hole in the ozone layer, under which I was stretched out, turns out to give you cancer. Now, where are those lemons? This gin needs something.

1 Like

From Rock to Ring

Just one more before I let this obsession go. I think I’ve explored it as far as I need to go for now.

I visited Chaco Canyon recently, a place I’ve been to several times before. I had mentioned above about adding an overlay design to this style of ring, and so that was on my mind. There is a particularlar petroglyph, perhaps two feet wide, high up on a wall on the trail between Casa Chiquita and Peñasco Blanco that I wanted to take a photo of. It reminds me of the Egyptian Eye of Horus.

Chaco Petroglyph

It’s a little hard to see, so here’s the petroglyph highlighted:

Chaco Petroglyph with Highlight

And finally, the domed ring, using the same template as originally posted, but with an overlay added to the face:

Chaco Ring

As a side note, I’d recently been reading this topic, GRS Benchmate QC or QCX, plus any accessories?, and this is the first ring I’ve made using the QCX. What an awesome tool!

Alec

2 Likes

Alec, I love the ring! Am also enjoying this discussion. Thank you.

In pondering your photos, I was surprised to see there is an additional element that you have missed. The glyph appears to be virtually symmetrical. There is another line of chevrons proceeding “southeast” from the leftmost angle of the eye and almost parallel to the upper chevron line.

Lovely pattern.

Pam

2 Likes

Holy smokes, Pam! You’re absolutely right. Good eye. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve looked at it and not seen those triangles.

I guess I’m not done after all. Back to the drawing board (literally). One more ring coming up, I guess. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Thanks,
Alec

Hello Alec,
I like. Very nice. A side question: The photo of the petrographs seems to have some other inspirations. There should be a excellent series of jewelry featuring these shapes and lines.

Thanks for sharing,
Judy in Kansas where it’s been sorta’ gray for several days with rain showers. Now the soil is too wet to finish planting, but what IS in the ground ought to be loving this!!

Thank you Judy. There might just be something in the works already, series-wise.

Alec

Do you curve the inner shank too or just the otter one?

Hi Michael,

Only the outer shank is raised. The inner remains a simple curve; that is, it’s curved on only one axis vs. two.

Alec

1 Like

I spent the other day cleaning and reorganizing my studio. I found a couple of copper test pieces that will illustrate my original post very well. In each of the below, the ring shank on the right was made using Alan Revere’s original template, while the one on the left was made using my modified sinusoidal template.

Neither shank has been filed, so you can see the excess metal on the original template that has to come off before adding the sides.

Two Ring Shanks, Side

Two Ring Shanks, Front

1 Like

Im sure this is like cheating, but didn’t one of our members create a calculator for creating various shaped box rings?

1 Like

Hey @SharonJ60561. Yes, one of our members did :wink: :
https://tools.easilydistractedbyshinyobjects.com/
But why would it be cheating? It’s just a tool like any other.

2 Likes

Hi Alec,
Thanjs for re-posting this calculator!

julie

1 Like

Absolutely Julie. If you use it and have any questions, please let me know either here or via the web page.

Alec, like most people in this forum who love what we do, you are a wealth of info & I for one appreciate you. Blessings!

PS cheating for me means I’m not using my brain…I also hate math!

1 Like