Advice on teaching

Hello all,
I have recently started thinking about teaching beginner jewelry making and would love to hear your thoughts, advice on starting this venture. i already have 2-3 people who are interested but I haven’t talked details with them yet. I would be doing this out of my home in my small studio so would only be able to have 1 person at a time. Has anyone taught out of their own home? what kind of legal stuff needs to happen - liability insurance etc? What kind of timing would you suggest? I was thinking of 1 day a week for a 3 hour period. I would do this for 2 people at a time meaning each person would have 1 day a week each and I would be teaching 2 days a week.
What to charge? Since it is basically private lessons it would seem to warrant a higher fee but I want to be in the ballpark of fair. Would it be the same as what I charge hourly for making jewelry?
Just wondering about any experiences and advice anyone may have to offer. Thank you in advance! Katherine

I see that no one has responded to your question.

I’ll be honest, I held back from saying anything, because there’s a zillion ways that this can go badly for you. I suppose the first thing that I would suggest is reach out to your insurance company and see what they say they need. The next question is reach out to your state, county, or town to see what permits that they require for you to offer classes in your home.

Lots of people do what you’re considering, but not all of them do it legally or with the proper insurance coverage.

This is one of those questions that there are no easy answers. If there is an accident or some kind of unexpected safety issue with folks paying to study with you in your home, it could be catastrophic. It’s best clear it with your insurance company and get the proper permits.

Best of luck!!

Jeff

2 Likes

In addition to what Mark suggests, start with any facility costs. Then factor in your labor at your labor rate. But you need to include the time that it takes to prepare and cleanup for each class. There is also the one time charge where you do your curriculum work to plan the lessons. This expense should be amortized over some number of follow on classes. You might check out the competition, if you can find them, and see what they charge. Here is an example of one near me.

Good luck…Rob

1 Like

When I teach privately I charge $50.00 per hour with a 4 hr. Minimum. It takes at least 3 of those hours to complete a new task. There is always a good 30 mins. at the beginning for set up and explaining the new ask. Then there will s an additional 30 mins. at the end to clean up. turning of the gas, oxygen, pickle pot, and put away tools. I have liability ins. in case of injury.

4 Likes

Jhaemer52 … you mentioned liability insurance for teaching … what ins. Company, approximate cost, any special conditions or limitations? I would really like to know of possible source for posible off and on jewelry teaching. . Thanks. Milt Gere