I have a mystery I'm hoping someone can help with.
A student of mine got a burn while she was in the studio a couple
weeks ago. We were etching with nitric acid that day, but I've
gotten nitric on myself many times, and this was nothing like it.
As she was leaving class, she noticed a burning sensation on the
underside of her forearm, and saw that it was red in a dime-sized
spot. She came back, and for want of a better idea, we applied a
baking soda poultice.
She tells me it continued to "burn" for the next day or so, and
turned brown. She didn't go to a doctor. The spot is still visible,
She says that the same day, she thought she had scratched her
glasses, but it turned out they were etched! This doesn't
necessarily have any connection to the burn.
We don't use hydrofluoric acid or anything unusual in the studio--
ferric chloride, nitric acid, the usual fluxes, pickle, paint
thinner, lacquer thinner, denatured alcohol.
I promised I would try to get to the bottom of this, so if anyone
has any or expertise that may help, I appreciate the