Back to Ganoksin | FAQ | Contact

About the Jewelry Discussion category

Ask questions and share advice about anything jewelry-related.

I haven’t done silversmithing in 25 years and when I learned how to do it I was living in the states and just bought my wire and plate. I now live in Zimbabwe and today tried to alloy sterling silver. I have also just switched to using oxygen and propane. So when I was trying to alloy it I basically blackened everything. I started with 50 gramps incase I screwed it up. I picked up on piece and I can kind of dust off the black soot. What have I done wrong? Sorry I know this is a beginner question but I can’t find the answer online and there is nothing in my manuals and books that can help.

Hello lovely people,
I am a new member here and need some advice:

Our gold smith dips diamond studded rings into some boric acid solution before resizing them into a bigger or smaller size. As soon he heat solders the piece the boric sticks on the diamonds and does not come off despite exposing the ring to ultrasonic and steam cleaning. Even dipping the piece in ISO propyl alcohol does not clean the diamonds. As a result even white diamonds start looking gray and the lustre is reduced. Can you please help with a solution to this problem?
Regards.
Prasoon

Does anyone have or know of a tutorial for carving a simple basket ring mounting for an emerald cut stone?

There’s really no point to it. There are ready made settings for emerald cut stones available in a range of sizes from many findings houses. If you’re planning on casting the setting you might as well just buy one.
The best quality of finish, strength, and size appropriate to the stone will be had by fabricating the setting, not by casting it.

Elliot is right. Cast prongs are not considered very desirable in good jewelry. They have a tendency towards porosity and are not as secure. A die struck or fabricated crown is best.
So cast the ring, buy or fabricate the crown.
The piece attached was cast, but the prongs were fabricated and added later. My sweetie Timothy Green is a master wax carver in my humble opinion but he always fabricates the prongs.

Jo Haemer
Your ring is totally superb. On as “Scale of 10”, it’s about a 50…:>)
Congratulations ‘Piece of Wearable Art’…!!!

Gerry Lewy
Toronto, Ontario.
Canada.

NIce ring!