Yvonne Cupolo - Jewelry Gallery

Yvonne Cupolo
Rochester, New York. USA

yvonnecupolo.com

In college, I majored in Painting and Drawing ; I have a BFA from Rochester Institute of Technology in 1970. It was after graduation that I learned to make metal jewelry. I went back to college, at The State University at Brockport, New York , because Albert Paley was teaching Metalsmithing there. I learned forging, forming, fabrication , and craftsmanship.I earned my MFA in 1983.

Cloisonne enamel is the perfect medium for the colorful imagery of the animals that I love. I bezel-set , and often add gemstones to compliment and enhance the enamels. Each piece is original and handmade. I like the idea of creating and wearing jewelry that celebrates the beauty of nature, or the love for a pet. It reflects a value system apart from the conventional penchant for big diamonds and heavy gold chains.

I balance my time in the studio with teaching enameling and metalsmithing. I have taught workshops at colleges and educational institutions since 1982.I am a faculty member of The Memorial Art Gallery of The University of Rochester New York, and since 2011, I have taught a class in cloisonne at The Studio of The Corning Museum of Glass in Corning New York. I enjoy teaching because I love seeing the pleasure and satisfaction that students enjoy after completing a project. Students inspire me too, and the problem-solving aspect of helping a student fabricate a metal and enamel object is a challenge.

My work has been published in "Contemporary Enameling" by Lilyan Bachrach ( Schiffer 2006 ) In 2010 I won 1st prize in jewelry at the prestigious Art Show at the Dog Show in Wichita , Kansas. It is a national competition for dog art, and it led to a one man show at The American Kennel Club Museum of the Dog in St. Louis. Other exhibits include The Enamelist Society, Artisan Gallery in NYC, "Objects" in Seattle and 1000 Islands Museum Craft School.

Materials: Vitreous Enamel, Sterling Silver, Copper, Garnet Dimensions: cloisonne panel is 2.25 in x 1.25 in

The necklace features a colorful cloisonne panel with three running Saluki dogs. The setting and chain are forged and textured sterling silver, and is accented by a bezel set garnet.

Photo credit: Tiffany Belardino

Cat Play

Materials: Vitreous Enamel, Sterling Silver, Copper, Aquamarine
Dimensions: cloisonne panel is 1.5 in x .7 in.

A cloisonne panel depicting a playful white cat on a red background is juxtaposed by a round silver element, and a bezel set aquamarine, hung on a sterling neck ring.

Photo credit: Tiffany Belardino

Blue Cat

Materials: Vitrous Enamel, Sterling Silver, Topaz, and Garnet
Dimensions: necklace chain is 14 inches, cloisonne panel with blue cat is 1.75 in x .75 in

The blue cat gazes at a garden of sunshine in this necklace of five cloisonne panels set in sterling silver and accented by 2 topaz and a garnet on a handmade chain.

Photo credit: Yvonne Cupolo