This is a tip that makes the rounds on Orchid every once in a while.
I haven't used yellow ochre in years. There is a superior anti-flux
that is more readily available, at least here in the U.S. It is
White-Out (Wite-Out?) correction fluid... the water based kind,
available at most office supply stores. IMPORTANT: The solvent based
kind emits toxic fumes when heated. The cool thing it that the
bottle also has a handy little applicator brush in the cap. One
bottle can last years, and can be reconstituted by adding a little
water if it starts to dry out in the bottle.
The problem with yellow ochre, aside from availability, is that it is
iron based. We all know that introducing iron to your pickle pot will
contaminate it and cause your work to become copper plated. Am I
correct that red rouge also contains iron? Unless you thoroughly
clean the piece before pickling, you will be increasingly
contaminating your pickle as time passes.
All the best,
Charlotte, NC (USA)