Wide Bezel Bottom File

I am looking for a wide #2 file, wide enough to level the bottom of a large bezel up to 2" in diameter. I have used various grit diamond stones like those used to sharpen gravers or polish lapidary material, but they seem to get loaded up with soft metals and then don’t do what I bought them for. I probably need to expand my search out beyond jewelry tools. I have looked at fret files. I thought that I asked this question once before, but I can’t find it. Any suggestions are appreciated…Rob

I like to use my belt grinder for that situation.

Thanks, I have one and have used it, but I find it a bit aggressive grabbing the bezel and rounding the edge…Rob

1 Like

How about using a disc sander? You can make one out of cardboard that runs on a polishing spindle. Make a few in different grits. Here’s a teaser video.

3 Likes

I like using 6" adhesive-back sanding discs for this. You can get them in any grit and they’re available at most any hardware stores. They work best if applied to a completely flat surface. I keep one on my jeweler’s bench and replace it as needed.

I also have a variety of flat mill files in various widths. They’re a common file that are often at garage sales for very little cost. Or you can buy new ones at any hardware store.

There’s lots of solutions to this topic, but that’s what I do.

Jeff

1 Like

I keep various grit abrasive papers on a small clip board. The clip board is flat and strong enough not to flex when I use it. Clearly I have a lot of standard Swiss and German files. I am looking for a wider file, maybe 2". My father had one, but I have no idea where it is and where he got it. Thanks…Rob

Hi Rob,
…saw this 50mm (1.96”) wide farriers file/ rasp…i am not sure what the file cut is…

perhaps look into farrier files…

julie

1 Like

Good idea! I will look into it. Thanks…Rob

Here’s a couple of options.

A 2" wide sharpening file.

Warner Blade Sharpening File, 820

https://www.amazon.com/Warner-Blade-Sharpening-File-820/dp/B000I1VE9C/ref=asc_df_B000I1VE9C/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167152075853&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11969854907406495653&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1021847&hvtargid=pla-309897856975&psc=1

This file is definitely interesting. I’ve never seen one of these before. It’s for sharpening skis. It’s definitely as wide as you’re looking for.

Fine File (70mm)

Another idea is a diamond sharpening hone. Those come in a variety widths and coarsenesses.

I know that I’ve got some pretty wide fine flat files like your father, but I have no idea where I got them from?

Good luck Rob!!

Jeff

Thanks!..Rob

1 Like

I use this every day from wax to gold. silver. plat. steels. what makes it so nice is the variable speed. amazon

I have a belt grinder and a flat lap, but they both run too fast to control the removal of the bottom of a bezel. Maybe making one variable speed is the solution to my problem. Thanks…Rob

I still file. like the grinder for roughing out. and tool making !

I too use my grinder for tool making and my diamond laps for lapidary. Soft metals seem to gum up the laps, so I try to avoid using them for much metal work…Rob

I use large flat mill file. not something jewelers generally use, but as a gun maker i used them for draw filing.
dont get the bastard cut, too aggresive .

2 Likes

I might suggest using a diamond Hand Polishing Pad, available in several grits from Amazon. I use these wet to hone the edge of pieces I’ve enameled in the kiln. You could flip it grit side up and run your piece over it. Sanding surface is 2 1/4" x 3 1/2". Plenty big enough to give them a try. Also could try gluing your favorite grit of sandpaper onto a piece of Plexiglas and sanding in a figure eight motion over the surface. Nice and level results for larger cab settings.

Link to polishing pads: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B42JKHR4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

1 Like

Hi,

i didnt know what a mile file was…or a bastard cut…now i do! hooray!

julie

5 Likes

Jeff –
Thanks for posting this link. The Warner file is not 2.75" wide as claimed in the Amazon description but is actually 3/4" wide (the display card is 2.75".) Many years ago (greater than 25) you could walk into any hardware store and buy a Red Devil Scraper file. Alas, no more. They just totally disappeared. But this is basically the same thing. A fine cut file for sharpening paint scrapers. It’s the only thing that really works properly for this task. I now (thanks to you) have one in my hands and it works pretty good (even though it’s made in China.) My long search is now over. Thanks again.
– alonzo

1 Like

I just had one delivered too and it is .75" wide, not 2.75". I guess that it goes back and I keep looking…Rob