What's a "Freza"?

Hi all!

I’m hoping someone out there can help me define a term that I haven’t
come across befoRe: Does anyone know what a “freza” is?

The reference in question is to a “bud-freza” that is inserted into a
handpiece – in this case it’s modified by grinding off the grooves
and used for burnishing porosity in platinum. Looking in my equipment
catalogs, I see bud burs that seem to fit the description/drawing I
have. But before I commit to print, I’d like to be sure a “freza” is
not a unique tool that simply looks like a bur. Does anyone know?

I’d be grateful for anyone who can point me in the right direction
for an answer!


Suzanne Wade
Phone: (508) 339-7366
Fax: (520) 563-8255

Hi Suzzanne, It’s an older term for a bur. Something like

Andy Cooperman

Dear Sue the term Freza is used in Lebanon ,Beirut as to any Bur ,if I
am not mistaken it comes from the French language,and at this point is
used by the local Armenian and Lebanese goldsmiths.

Hratch Babikian

Hi Susan; I believe this is a nice bastardization of the German word
"fraeser", which in English means bur! So, as you assumed, the
wonderful bud freza is in fact a bud bur. This kind of thing happens
sometimes to us people for whom English is not our first language.
When you get tired or are just otherwise preoccupied, the “old” word
gets substituted, or similar sounding words get used, or you just get
it backwards. (I have the feeling it is just happening to me, and I
got the grammar backwards. Ah well). Sounds like an intriguing tool,
let us know if it works Kind regards

Michaela Wolfert

I believe that “freza” is a misspelled version of the word “frazer”.
Many years ago I apprenticed in a manufacturing jeweler’s shop owned
by a European artisan. What we call burs (or burrs) were all called
fazers. Hope this helps.

Ray Grossman
Ray Grossman Inc.
Manufacturers of Jump Ringer

Suzanne - I haven’t heard of the term “freza”, but you can buy tools
for your hand piece called margin rollers that are made for doing this
task. I believe they are available from Rio Grande and Gesswein. You
can also make your own burnisher. take any burr and grind off the
sharpness of the ridges then sand and polish the ridges. You don’t
want a smooth surface, but small ridges that will act as tiny hammers
but not cut into the surface. Steve.

Steven Brixner - Jewelry Designer - San Diego CA USA