What type of brass for a stone setting punch

Hi,

i am looking at 3mm/ 4mm diameter brass rod on mcmaster carr website, to use as a setting punch, in a variable speed dremel engraver…actual collet seems to hold 3.14mm…may need to buy 3mm and 4mm and figure it out…

(this is based on Peter Keep’s video comparing various hammer handpieces, on www.jewelrytrainingsolutions.com)

mcmaster carr has a few different types of 3 and 4mm brass rod…see below 3 links…does anyone have an opinion on which type would be best for this punch?

aside from the description, the specs include hardness…ie: 1/2 hard, 1/4 hard, soft…lead content?

any advice would be much appreciated!

julie

1 Like

I’m not an engineer or a material scientist, but the alloys that are machinable are probably harder than the ultra formable alloy. Personally, I think any of the alloys will be a good choice, but I’d probably give a slight edge to the machinable alloys.

The other option would be to buy a selection and do some tests. The shipping charges will be about the same with the quantities you’ll be purchasing.

Jeff

2 Likes

Hi Jeff!

haha! my dad, brother, and brother-in-law would have told me the same thing…test!

plus, you can never have too much brass rod!

julie

2 Likes

Try your local hardware. They might have exactly what you want. That’s where I bought mine…Rob

2 Likes

Home depot. I get lots of brass rod there.

1 Like

Hi,

on a related note…3.18mm= 1/8”

i messaged mcmaster-carr right AFTER i hit the “buy button…they were able to add the 1/8” to my order…yay!…and 1/8” fits in the collet snugly…yay!

however, the ultra formable brass might be a bit soft…the edges are upsetting quickly…so, i made another, but forged down the tip and that seems to be a bit better…

i may order 1/8” tool steel rod next…

julie

1 Like

I don’t know if this helps you, but I get 3/32" drill rod from McMaster Carr to make punches and flush setting tools sometimes.

There was a thread a while back ago where people talked about making punches out of old burs. I do that too, but sometimes I don’t have enough old burs lying around. 3/32" is the width of burs (that I use) and fit into all of my tool holders. You can get it in 1/8" too if you like. The drill rod comes annealed, so it’s fairly easy to shape, but you can harden and temper it if you like.

Jeff

3 Likes