What’s this thing called in American?

So most of the books I end up finding on goldsmithing are written by British goldsmiths, and sometimes they have different names for things. I’m reading a book on stone setting, and the author talks about this flush setting tool, but when I Google it I can’t find anything that looks like this so the only thing I can figure is that it’s called something different by Americans? Anybody have any idea what other name this tool goes by or, better yet, where to buy one?

Just looks to me like a curved graver with a fairly large heel…Rob



it is basically a setting burnisher…you can make with brass rod…and a graver handle…and make other versions as need requires……



Thats what i thought was a curved polished graver.

1 Like

My guess is that most people make their own from some other tool. May I ask what book is that?

1 Like

It’s a burnisher. You can make your own from brass rod as suggested or from tool steel shaped to your intended project, then polished and hardened. Or a broken drill bit, 1/16" or 3/32" (plus or minus as fits the project) could be worked down quite nicely.

1 Like

It’s Anastasia Young’s book “Gemstone Settings: Styles & Techniques.” Spent all day reading it and making notes on the pages. So this particular tool has come up numerous times in other books written by British jewelers, and they call it a flush setting tool. It’s not a graver, it’s completely dull on the end and is different to a bezel pusher in that it’s slightly curved and rounded on the end. It’s not really a burnisher either, it has a specific shape that’s supposed to help you push metal over onto a flush set stone, which are usually round stones, so the end of this thing has a curved rounded tip to help push metal over onto a round flush set stone. But I can’t find one of these things anywhere. Apparently it’s common in Britain but not here. In order to be the right size it would basically have to be a bezel pusher that you cut and round off into a polished crescent shape at the end, and my tool making skills are rudimentary at best. I was hoping to just buy one. American jewelers don’t have this kind of thing in their arsenal of tools?

These days this type if burnished setting is usually done with a burnishing tool in a flex shaft machine. One makes one’s own burnishing tools.


Every flush setting tool I’ve ever seen was made by or for the user. Bezel pushers are available, but unless you find one at a UK supplier, you might have to make one. The ones I’ve seen and used were made from brass which is easier on the metal.


1 Like