What is your opinion on the best Jewelers Saw

Interestingly, I just got a gross of the Sierra Platinum size 1 that was straw colored , not the usual gray. I started using them anyway, but after about 4 blades I could tell they weren’t sawing as well. Normally they are very hard blades, and have the most bite, and saw well for quite a ways (size 1 sawing 1/16" 0-1 tool steel, where the average is maybe 2-4" of cut before they break). On the same die, I changed to some gray ones, and sure enough, it was back to normal; they sawed twice as far. This little bit of tempering inconsistency makes a big difference in my world, and is why I can’t use other blades- they are all just a little bit softer (tempered hotter) and don’t saw the steel as well. They crap out a lot faster- it’s that simple.

1 Like

I have been using the German saw frames for 30ish years. They work fine until they develop a bit of a twist and no longer saw straight. That takes years to happen. I have wanted a Knew Concepts saw, but the price is just too rich for me.
I am getting a Potter USA saw frame. I am on a waiting list. They only make 1 or 2 hundred at a time. Everyone I know who has one loves them! It is still pricey, but way less than the Knew Concepts saw. This will be my present to myself.

Also, most of my problems with sawing can be traced back to saw blades. Either cheap or improperly hardened or annealed.

1 Like

These are breathtaking!1

1 Like