Wendy Newman - Jewelry Gallery

Wendy Newman Jewelry
Moab, UT. USA

My “flight” series takes me back to my love of Calder’s sculptures and Miro’s drawings in college, back further to watching “The Jetsons” on Saturday morning, and finally to my mother reading my favorite “Dr. Seuss” book at bedtime about the City of Whoville contained in a single speck of dust.

Whoville is represented by a single cultured pearl in my jewelry pieces. The whimsical shapes in which they reside are fabricated from sterling silver sheet and wire and hand-rolled and textured 18k gold. Original prismacolor drawings shrunk to 1/10 their original size on my favorite childhood art media “shrink-dink paper” are capped with automotive epoxy and bezel set in 22k gold. The colorful drawings, combined with the delicately handcrafted flat-wire sculptures, which often link together like “a barrel of monkeys”, create the imaginary landscapes of my jewelry designs.

Materials: sterling, 18k, prismacolor, resin, pearl
Dimensions: 17" long x 1.2" H

Sterling silver with 18k hand-rolled and textured gold accents. Prismacolor drawings are covered with an automotive resin bezel set in 18k gold and accented with a freshwater pearl.

Photo credit: Hap Sakwa

Prismacolor “flight” pendants

Materials: sterling, 18k, prismacolor, resin, pearl
Dimensions: 1.8" x 1.8" X .5"

Sterling silver with 18k hand-rolled and textured gold accents. Prismacolor drawings are covered with an automotive resin bezel set in 18k gold and accented with a freshwater pearl.

Photo credit: Hap Sakwa