Vina Rust - Jewelry Gallery

vinarust.com
Seattle, USA

This body of work explores the idea of exposing intricate internal structures with devices such as the cross-section or selective staining of cells. It is inspired by botanical illustrations and photomicrographs, imagery that has cultivated a sense of wonder in me: there is a musical quality to the cellular structures they reveal, themes and variations in the logical patterning and loose architecture determined by functionality.

With a diverse cultural background, and training in both the arts and sciences, I often draw inspiration from a broad range of sources, including the fin de siecle English illustrators Rackham and Beardsley, and the so-called “ethnic” jewelry of Southeast Asia and Oceania. My influences do, however, tend to share a common thread: acute observation of natural forms, and an appreciation for the tension between beauty and menace so often found in nature’s defenses.

Materials: Sterling silver, 14K gold, liver of sulfur
Dimensions: 10.1 cm x 7.6 cm x 0.25 cm

Piece for the velvetdavinci.com Pendant Show at Velvet da Vinci in San Francisco

Photo credit: Doug Yaple

Equisetum Bracelet: Stained Cell Series, 2008

Materials: Sterling silver, 14K gold, liver of sulfur patina
Dimensions: 10.6 cm x 10.1 cm x 0.5 cm

Bracelet, size approx. 8"

Photo credit: Doug Yaple

Cysts and Symmetries Charms (group shot), 2011

Materials: Sterling silver, cultured freshwater pearl, liver of sulfur patina
Dimensions: 3.3 cm - 5.6 cm

Pendant charms for Charmed II at the Society for Contemporary Craft, Pittsburgh, PA

Photo credit: Vina Rust

1 Like