Hi All, I do a lot of hot glass work, in addition to working with
metals. I bought a new torch, a Major Burner, and it creates a lot of
Carbon Dioxide/Monoxide fumes. I created my own ventilation system
that really sucks the fumes out of my building. Grainger has a whole
line of squirrel cage blowers.
http://www.grainger.com Search for 2c946.
The are rated in CFM from 350 to 1210, shaded pole or split
capacitor motor, in the price range of $100 to $200. They are not
super quiet, but could be made to be so if placed at a distance from
the work space.
I used about 16 feet of washer/dryer hose, 8 inches in diameter. I
hooked one end on the round hole on cage of the blower. I used my
flexshaft with a cut-off wheel to cut an 8 inch hole in the bottom
of a metal galvanized mop bucket. I hooked the other end of dryer
hose to the mop bucket with a flange I found at home depot in the
I cut a hole in the wall of my workshop to the outside, and mounted
the blower over the hole to exaust to the outside. I hang the mop
bucket over my torch and it exausts all the fumes to the outside. I
could move the mop bucket around to another area, or move what needs
exausting to be under the mopbucket. Total cost, about $200.
My glass shop is 8'x12'x24', or 2400 cubic feet. My 800 CFU exaust
fan changes the air in the shop every 3 minutes. If anyone needs a
picture, please let me know and I'll put one on the web for you.
Love and God Bless