Varvara Shmid - Bench Exchange

Varvara Shmid
Russia

“My name is Varvara Shmid. My parents are professional artists – jewelers. That is why I think I am very lucky to grow up in jeweler master shop. Its photos have been already published at your site, on bench exchange page. On the jeweler way I’m making my first steps. Maybe because I am very young person, I choose the technical way in jewelry making. I think technique helps jeweler to make the work technological and modern. Mechanical process helps all the craziest sketches become ready pieces. On the photo you can see my working place that was made specially for me. Maybe it doesn’t look like the traditional bench. There’s only one small lathe/milling machine standing on it. By means of it I make details that become jewelry later. I carve wax models. And then with the mechanical casting machine I cast them. I feel the power over the fire and the metal and I like this dangerous process…”

Varvara Shmid
Russia

“My name is Varvara Shmid. My parents are professional artists – jewelers. That is why I think I am very lucky to grow up in jeweler master shop. Its photos have been already published at your site, on bench exchange page. On the jeweler way I’m making my first steps. Maybe because I am very young person, I choose the technical way in jewelry making. I think technique helps jeweler to make the work technological and modern. Mechanical process helps all the craziest sketches become ready pieces. On the photo you can see my working place that was made specially for me. Maybe it doesn’t look like the traditional bench. There’s only one small lathe/milling machine standing on it. By means of it I make details that become jewelry later. I carve wax models. And then with the mechanical casting machine I cast them. I feel the power over the fire and the metal and I like this dangerous process…”

… I am very young person, I choose the technical way in jewelry making. I think technique helps jeweler to make the work technological and modern.

I saw your bench exchange post and really appreciated your position. Main difference is age, I’m on the other end at 74 yrs. Can you please tell me the name of your lathe/mill.
Regards RLW