Vac-u-Cast Machine oil draining

Experts,

I have sold an old Swest Vac-u-cast machine. It is travelling from southern MN to
southern IA in a pick up bed. Covered and padded of course, but freezing temps around
10˚.
Should I drain the oil out of it??
Not like it is water and my burst something, but what say you folks???

Let me know.

Thank, Jim

It can’t hurt to drain the oil. Just make sure the buyer knows the oil has been drained.

I forgot to say, when the machine was new, it was shipped without oil inside of it. That’s also true for things like lawnmowers. I’m pretty sure that UPS, FedEx etc have rules against shipping tools with oil inside of them. You can double check that, but I’m pretty sure it’s correct.

Jeff

1 Like

Jeff,
Its riding in the box of a pick up truck. The concern is the cold. Vacuum oil as far as i know,
Is just mineral oil. Im not aware mineral oil gels
Whst do you think.
Stuller didnt know.
Jim

I googled the freezing point of mineral oil. I’m not seeing a succinct answer. I’m saw answers that varied from above and below 0 F. I even looked up a mineral oil SDS sheet from a chemical supply house. It said freezing temperature unknown. I’m not sure what to tell you? I think it will probably be okay, but that is just a guess.

Sorry! I don’t know.

Jeff

1 Like

Thank you Jeff!!

I spoke with a tech at Rio Grande this morning
He said drain a bit of the oil. If there is any water in the reservoir, it’ll be at the bottom of the tank.
Itll be in the first oil that comes out.
Im going to find my drain tube and a juice glass.
Curious to see if there is water in it, and how much.
I appreciate you research effort!!
Regards, Jim

2 Likes

Mineral oil is like highly refined and purified motor oil for your car. It’s medium and long chain alkanes and cycloalkanes. Both are derived from petroleum. The viscosity will vary with the temperature, Oil doesn’t freeze or gel with cold, unless extreme cold, as with liquid nitrogen or dry ice. It just gets thick… once at room temperature for use, the oil will thin… residual water is more of a problem…that should be drained out.

1 Like