I had a Pharmacist tell me that the easiest way to neutralize acid
was simply by dilution. Take a small amount of acid say 50ml and
add it to water [or is it the other way around?].
Aaargh, never do it the other way round!!!! Acid is ALWAYS added to
Keep mixing with water until you have the percentage down around 2
percent and then just pour it out.
This is a very environment-unfriendly method of waste disposal,
especially in the case of nitric acid!
correct amount of water to do it. You can always add baking soda
or Na OH, which is I think Sodium Hydroxide. It doesn't give off
heat or bubbles so it is not as fun!
This is wrong! (mistyped, I think?) Adding sodium hydroxide to an
acid ALWAYS gives heat. And again, please, as long as you do not
exactly know what you are doing: do not follow these advices. For
example: Adding Sodium hydroxide to 70% Nitric will give LOTS of
heat and the solution will immediately start to boil in a major
Nitric is very strong stuff. It will give of bad harmful fumes.
Work with it outside or under very good ventilation. You can use it
to etch Sterling Silver. Work with about 10%. You can also etch
Copper. It eats Copper, and it will give off murky yellow-green
gases that will burn the crap out of your lungs. Very harmful and
very dangerous. I am sure that some chemist out there will respond
to my post. I hope they can give better insight as to how to use
and be safe.
Yes, I am a chemist and I can tell you how to use it safely: In a
fume cupboard in the lab. The gases (NO2, N2O4) are highly toxic.
I have a burn scar on my hand from using the stuff in high school
chemistry class; that was more years than I care to remember. The
acid just slowly burnt into my hand about a 1/4 " until I could
see the major blood vessel than runs from above your thumb to your
fore finger. Be careful
Hmmm... why did you not wash it down with LOTS of water?? If it
burns slowly into your skin, you did not wash away fast enough. Every
spill should be wshed off immediately for several minutes under
running water (Good advice: Never work with acids in a room without
water supply! Never forget to wear safety goggles, think what happens
if a drop f acid hits your eyes!)
Hope this prevents major injuries