Ultrasonic POLISHING unit

Does anyone use a ultrasonic POLISHING unit such as the ones Gesswein sell on the bench. I am looking at for saving time on cleanup in hard to reach places on gold & Pt as well. Does it work ?

SonoCraft ST-360 | Ultrasonic Finishing System | Gesswein

ULTRAMAX Mini Ultrasonic Polishing System for Jewelry Applications | Gesswein

1 Like

Badeco sells a polishing hand piece for flex shafts that may do a similar job for vastly less money. You will have to ask Gesswein or some other source how they compare.

Neil A

On a whim we actually picked up an ultrasonic polishing unit from AliExpress. It’s not as sexy looking as the Gesswein one, but it does work pretty well (and only cost about $300 including shipping). I’ve found a fair number of things like that on AliExpress that are nearly, if not totally identical to the Gesswein models (looking at you, micro-motors!).
As to whether or not they work, I’d say they work pretty well. I’m partial to the Diprofil handpieces, but they for sure don’t do the same kind of polishing when equipped with a mirror polish tungsten tip.

I have one of the Gesswein polishers and use it all the time. When I first got it I wasn’t impressed, but as I learned how to use the machine it became part of my process. I use the ceramic sticks with it to smooth out grow lines on casts before hand thrumming. I’m not sure if you would be able to polish your piece to a mirror shine with just the unit. It does come with a burnisher you can smooth things out with, but I find myself using a thrum or slurry cloth for that

Thanks for all the info guys

Hi I’m sorry I know this might be an old post, I’m looking to get a unit that has the smallest attachments to quickly brighten hard to reach areas. Does anybody have experience or insight on which model is best for this? Thanks I’m advance.

Hi Andrew, we’re looking for a similar machine to remove print lines in and around settings. Wondering how you went???

I recently purchased a set of round ceramic polishing stones from Gesswein. I also bought a small shaper and some medium wooden polishing sticks. The round stones can be used in a holder and shaped to fit the little spaces that I need to get into. They also fit a 3/32 collet or #30 handpiece. I haven’t used any of this much, but it does work and I am sure that they will grow on me to eventually look at some kind of reciprocating handpiece. Rodger Gesswein was great to work with and he quickly help me make this purchase. There are also stones small enough to fit my Lindsay Air Graver. My advice is to start small and manual to get a feel for how they work before you buy an expensive system…Rob

1 Like