U.S. hallmarking rule change

In the past there have been numerous questions and replies on Orchid about hallmarking metals.

MJSA was kind enough to send me a complimentary issue of the MJSA Journal (many thanks!) in which there is an interesting article on the subject.

It seems the U.S. Federal Trade Commission has recently revised their rules, and makers can now specify any percentage of gold and silver - there is no longer a restriction for things marked ‘gold’ to be 10K or higher; and a piece can be marked ‘silver’ with any percentage, so long as the marking is accurate. Specifically, one can now mark a piece as 1 karat gold, or 50% silver, where that was previously forbidden.

Some who previously posted about this did want to be able to hallmark along these lines.

The article did question if 1 karat gold should be called ‘gold’ at all.

I wonder when someone will get around to marking a piece as .18K Gold (notice the decimal point - this being less than 1 karat) or silver being marked as 18K Silver to trick buyers who are not familiar with silver hallmarking but who think 18K is high quality like 18K gold.

The article also went into the potential industry headaches when low percentage ‘gold’ jewelry starts turning a wearer’s finger green, when tarnishing and corrosion take place, and when these pieces are brought in for repair.

As a hobbyist this doesn’t concern me, but in the U.S. the rules have changed, and Orchid members should know about it, so I’m passing the information along.

7 Likes

Thank you for this update Neil! Don’t forget that you can not legally stamp an article’s metal content unless you also add a registered trademark. Legally, you don’t need to stamp your piece at all. I have my own stamp but haven’t registered it because I don’t sell my jewelry. I guess I will need to register it if I start selling my pieces.

Here’s the relevant text from the FTC: “The National Stamping Act provides that any person, firm, corporation, or association, being a manufacturer or dealer subject to section 294 of the Act, who applies or causes to be applied a quality mark, or imports any article bearing a quality mark “which indicates or purports to indicate that such article is made in whole or in part of gold or silver or of an alloy of either metal” shall apply to the article the trademark or name of such person. 15 U.S.C. 297.”

Here’s a link to the federal regulation: Federal Register :: Request Access

Here’s a link to the US Customs website: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/342/~/stamping-requirements-for-precious-metal%2C-gold%2C-silver%2C-or-platinum-jewelry

2 Likes

You can register a trademark in your state of residence as well as with the USPTO. State registrations are generally quicker and less expensive.

2 Likes

Updating my post from a year ago, it seems, 1K gold is here.

This from JCK

"Following the Federal Trade Commission’s decision last year to remove the traditional thresholds on what can be described as gold, a new line has been introduced based on 1k gold jewelry.

Gold One Jewelry is now being sold on QVC and at Daniel’s Jewelers, and will be soon be sold at Macy’s, Kohl’s, and Boscov’s, according to its creator, Long Island City, N.Y.–based Select Jewelry.

The jewelry was created using a new patent-pending gold alloy. It is then plated with a layer of 14k gold to match the color of traditional gold jewelry. Its retail price is 80%–90% less than comparable 14k product, the company says."

The entire article can be read here:

Neil A

1 Like

I remember reading your initial post and wondering how long it was going to take for some retailer to market 1k gold. This will be interesting how consumers react once it’s out in the market.
Also, what will be the issues this creates when someone goes into their local jeweler to have a 1k gold ring resized or something repaired? You’d have to treat it like base metal jewelry and then have to explain to the customer what they purchased and that you can’t do the repair…

1 Like

To be honest, this is played material. Can’t repair it really.
Aaron