I just took a batch of jewelry out of my small rotary tumbler, and sterling
silver pieces have orange rust-looking spots on them, cast brass pieces
looking like they have bad fake tans, but the pre-fab brass wire looks
I’m wondering if I tainted the media, and that because I run long tumbling
cycles (usually 2-6 hours at a time) it’s burnished on the media and I need
to totally replace it?
Here are some more details:
- My last tumbler started darkening pieces after a year of use; I
figured it was that the rubber gasket starting to break down, the media got
stained from it, and the stained media deposited black on my pieces
- I bought a new barrel and ran it with water/white vinegar then
water/baking soda cycles but things started looking vaguely dark more
quickly than last time; After cleaning just the barrel and gasket this way
I added the tumbling media and repeated the cleaning cycles
- Last time I cleaned my tumbler and media I did water/vinegar cycles
but forgot the water/baking soda cycle and wonder if this is the culprit?
- I use mostly blue pyramids and some steel shot
- I use Dawn soap
- I tend to tumble for 4-6 hours at a time
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!