Tucker Bead plate

Anyone using a Tucker bead plate? I’m having issues using one. About half the time the bead gets stuck in the plate … I mean like really stuck. I have a plate with two beads in it … just stuck. Here is what I’m doing. I put a fine silver bead of the appropriate size in the plate, I put one Peddinghaus (flat face) forging hammer on top of the bead and whack the crap out of it with another. Makes a decent bead if you can get it out of the mould :slight_smile: I lube it with wd40 first … have not tried an ingot release agent … yet. Not sure that would make much of a difference. My thoughts are maybe I’m hitting it too hard … should I just “gently” whack it with a forging hammer … is .999 too sticky … should I be trying with sterling?? At this point its too much damn trouble to fiddle with it for the results. I seriously have two beads that appear to be fused to the plate. Tucker sez to put a center punch in the middle and yank it out … nada. Anyone else using a shot plate? Thoughts?

I have a couple of Tucker’s 8 bead plates. I lube with Silicone spray (Mac’s 3300 from NAPA.) WD40 isn’t really a lubricant (about like kerosene.) Also, I use an old (usa made) nail set to remove the shot. The newer (chinese made) nail sets don’t have the right shape for this. A center punch is the wrong shape. What you need is a long slim taper (try a 1/32 or 2/32 usa made Stanley nail set (Garage sale, maybe.)) I have only used .925 and have no experience with .999 here but would expect it to work about the same.
I have sometimes used a shot that was a bit small for the depression I was using it in and it did not quite fill the depression at the top edges. It simply fell out of the depression but still had the shape that I wanted.
– alonzo

2 Likes

Thanks Alonzo … I’ll give that a try. I was using a center punch, not a nail set.

Brent –
Saw these nail sets online and they look like they have the right taper:
https://www.ruralking.com/3-pc-pro-nail-set?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=shopping&utm_content=156050012&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI17usza-35AIVgo7ICh0W

Particularly the two smaller ones.

– alonzo

1 Like

Thanks Alonzo! So … after making the bead you just hammer the nail set down into the bead and wiggle it out??

That’s what I do. I can’t say that’s it’s always easy but it has always worked for me.
I read about one person that got so fustrated with trying to get the bead out that she melted the silver out with a torch. That probably wasn’t the best thing for the harding/tempering of the plate.
– alonzo

Thanks! Interestingly enough, Leslie Kail Villareal has a youtube video with Jerry Tucker showing how to use his shot plate - as well as his other tools. Thanks Leslie! I’ll try to post a link, but not sure Orchid allows external links. If the link does not work, just go to youtube and search “tucker tools”. Leslie has quite a few useful and interesting videos out. How to use Tucker tools Steel stamping for Jewelry - YouTube

I thought about the torch :). Then thought better of it …

1 Like

Brent –
Thanks for the link. It was good to see Tucker in action (I had only talked to him on the phone.)
I’m pretty certain that those shot plates are heat treated after the impressions are made in them so torching one wouldn’t be too good. Freezing one to remove the bead might work though (haven’t tried it.)
– alonzo

Good thoughts to you Alonzo. I slipped a side of a brown’s shears to it … and whacked the shit out it and it (one) came out … lol. I bought the NAPA silicon spray. Made the trek to Lowe for the nail set. F*** me … came out on the first try with the nail set. Live and learn, thanks. You saved me. We all learn from others we do. I’ve been an orchid member …for more years than I can remember. I miss sometimes older folks … anyone remember Lenoid Surpin. Opinionated … lol. I miss him. He was difficult … to say least.

1 Like

Brent –
Good to hear that you got it working. No credit to me. I think it was Tucker himself that suggested the nail set. Worked for me so I was just passing it along. And, silicone spray is a great release agent for all kinds of mold applications.
I’d be interested in seeing how you are using the output from your bead plate on your jewelry.
Yeah, the old guys… difficult,… but right!!
Take care.
– alonzo