Transporting waxed

Had anyone developed a reliable way to transport waxes safely? I need to take them by bus and train to Manhattan.

If you’re hand carrying them (not shipping them) the safest way that I’ve found is to put the waxes in a container of water. Just make sure that it’s a container that won’t open unexpectedly.

That system has always worked for me. Hope that helps!

Jeff

3 Likes

I’ve never seen anyone carry them in water! Personally I just wrap them in tissues or toilet paper and put them in an appropriate sized hard container (jewelry box, film canister, small jar from cosmetics etc), then toss them in my usual bag for the subway or on my bike. Everyone I see carrying waxes in the jewelry district usually does the same thing. I’ve never seen anyone at a counter with a particulary unique carrying container.

Same here -hand carried - large enough to carry - and space with crumpled tissue… However the owner of the business sold to others and castings are not as good.

I wrap mine in wax paper then cushion it in a small box with paper. I like Jeff’s suggestion about putting it in water. I need to try that.

I taught a jewelry class once where some students made waxes at home and brought them to class to cast. They often broke during transport. Someone told me about the water trick and suddenly there were no more broken waxes.

There’s all different kinds of shapes and weights with wax models. A thick signet ring is stronger and has less a chance of breaking, but a wispy, light wire wax model is extremely fragile. The wax in a water container is especially helpful with light, fragile waxes.

But like everything, whatever works for you is the right answer.

Jeff

1 Like

I was taught to use cotton balls and small containers and have never had anything break; not in luggage roughly handled by airplane crew, my own carry on or any other method.

I’m very intrigued by the water method though!

1 Like

I’ve also used water in those snap top film canisters. I fill them to the top so there isn’t a big air pocket. The water cushions and keeps waxes cool and firm so I don’t worry about heat causing distortions or slumping, particularly if I’m using soft wax or injection waxes instead of carving wax. I put one piece to a canister unless the waxes are sturdy and don’t have parts that will interlock or tangle. The water doesn’t leave fiber (cotton), lint, dust, scratches or scuffs. I just drain the wax on a paper towel or cloth and let it air dry.

Donna

1 Like