Titanium soldering grid

I do a lot of platinum work and find that tungsten welding rods are the best to elevate work off of any material that may contaminate the platinum, melt whatever support I’m working with, or act as a heat sink. I see no reason why they would not work for gold or silver equally well. Not very cheap but available at most any welding supply shop. Available in multitude different diameters. I use it to work as tips for a third hand using the GRS setup or just lay several on the back of a platinum crucible. You really need a diamond wheel to shape the rods if making tweezer tips, but they last forever. Best for making soldering pics also. Doesn’t contaminate. Here is one source found with a Google search that seems very reasonably priced; Diamond Ground 2% Thoriated Tungsten Electrode TH2-040

I sometimes just use spare titanium clamps for standing items on when soldering, I have also just bent the strips as supplied by KnewConcepts into useful soldering supports.

1 Like

Thinking it might be good to add to the discussion of soldering supports.

I took a standard cross lock tweezers and separated the arms so they now stay open instead of closed. It is held in the third hand holder.
The silver washer has a 1/2 inch hole and slides on the tweezer shaft to adjust the opening , from 0 to 1 3/4 inches.

It welcomes heating from the bottom and the heat sink effect is minimal as the tweezer arms are slim.

It is simple , cost effective and secure when soldering.
Hope that some find this info helpful
Thanks,
Mike

I love this idea and can’t wait to try it. Mostly because it uses something I already have!

Thank you for responding to my post.
Just wondering did you try it ?
If so, how did it work out.
Thanks ,
Mike

Have not been in my studio for over a week. Between the heat here in Florida and now the torrential rains, it has been too uncomfortable out there. Plus I had no electricity in any of my outlets due to a tree outside the house being struck by lightning and knocking out my GFIC outlets, which control all the outlets on that end of the house.

Rest assured, I will certainly be trying all these tips at some point, and I thank you for sharing them.
Brenda