Ti Research Cast T machine update needed

Hi everyone,
I’d like to hear from all of you who have a Ti Research Casting machine and are actively using it! I looked on the forum and found a few posts about them from the past, or when they first came out, but I’d like to know if those of you who have them are still happy with the results you get from them. I had one that I bought several years ago and never got to use it because a wildfire swept through our area here in Texas and we lost our home and my metalsmithing studio. I don’t know if I should replace it, or go with something else. I had the Ti Research investment mixers and the vacuum pump, as well as all the other things I knew I would need for casting. It’s a big investment, so I’m trying to decide if I should go with another Ti Research Cast T machine or one of the vacuum units from Rio.

Anyway, I would appreciate any advice you might have for me! Thx!

Anne Smarzik
Bastrop, TX

Hi Anne,

Maybe a “Torit” casting machine we have would interest you… or someone else?

I’m familiar with the Ti machine. Their small size is a plus as is the electric induction melting system. Drawbacks are the $ cost and limited size range of models the ‘desktop’ units can cast. You still need a vacuum pump for investment air removal but not the expanse of a vacuum ‘mixer.’ Many fairly inexpensive vacuum pump with applicable specs are available from other than jewelry making sources such as Harbor Feight, eBay and other online sellers.

Jewelry tools suppliers are probably the best source for a ‘commercial’ Bell Jar. For DIY people making a Bell Jar is fairly easy from thick walled, Plex tube & sheet or heavy glass jugs with easily cut-off bottoms and rubber mat. (a separate discussion) If you can afford the cost of another Ti machine and don’t for see a need to cast larger objects maybe get a replacement. For a small studio they can be great.

The Torit machine we’ll be selling: A couple months ago we came across what vintage car / bike collectors refer to as a “Garage Find.” A Brand New, never used, ‘vacuum assist,’ Torit, vertical casting machine circa 1970. Torit made several sizes. We have the medium size one in our shop for our Torch Tip related testing but it’s not the vacuum assist unit. The machine we came across was stored for decades and is mint condition. Original, heavy duty splash shield is 30 inches in diameter. Machine stands about 28 inches high by about 10 inches wide at the base. Uses standard crucibles for Torch melting. Comes with many, brand new stainless flasks of various sizes, etc. It will take flasks up to 4 inches dia. by about 6+ inches long. It’s the “vacuum assist” function of this machine combined with the vertical spin that makes it ‘very special.’ Platinum casting and all other precious metals it produces dense castings. We’ll post a notice in coming weeks with photos, price, shipping details, etc.

Best of luck re: your considerations for a replacement machine.

Hi Anne,
I think it would depend on what you want to do, the volume of work, type of work, comfort with DIY, etc. Building a
vacuum casting system is not that difficult. You’ll need a burnout oven unless you want to use the “flowerpot on an
electric stove eye” method. Beyond that finding a heavy glass bowl for a bell jar and building a jiggle table that doubles as a casting table is not difficult. In my area, pawn shops have vacuum pumps available regularly for $150 or so, or you can even run an old automobile air compressor backwards with an electric motor. You can buy flasks or make your own out of cans, pipes, etc.I think you would find Youtube videos on all of this. Or you can buy the commercial units if you have the cash and aren’t interested in DIY.
Best,
royjohn

Hello Anne,

This is Sandor of Ti-Research. I’m sorry to hear about your losses in a wildfire.

As in your post and related responses some machine specifics were addressed, I think a few words of clarification are in order here.

High melting metals are known to solidify very fast. Cast is designed to handle high melting metals, eg. Pt, hence our centrifugal approach and overall stainless steel design. Despite of this, it is widely used for Ag and Au as well…

I have designed Cast to keep the operator on the safe side – at all times. I was not driven by OSHA regulations but by personal attitude (there’s a secret relation between product liability and a good sleep at night). Unlike most common broken-arm centrifugal casting machines all rotating parts of Cast are built inside a self-contained stainless steel cabinet.

In the past, we’ve had the opportunity to demonstrate platinum casting at a Stuller workshop twice. Once we had to deal with a cracked mold, but gave a try. Of course there was spill, and of course there was an ‘Oooh’ in the audience. But: without the safe design the first row would have become a case for paramedics. The cracked mold highlighted another feature: only those cavities affected by the crack will generate spill. All other cavities will fill. If you are familiar with the broken arm molds you might figure out the result of a cracked mold yourself.

@royjohn: A final word to the selection of materials: I am not aware that we have sold any replacement flasks so far – since 2001.

I agree with @royjohn and @PaigeTools: what you want to do determines the objective. If you intend to cast silver once in a while then Delft Clay will do. If you intend to cast a product line of highly detailed platinum jewelry then you’ll need a set of sophisticated machines. Cast covers the entire range between the two for small quantities. You might make up your mind watching the video:

or with the tutorial on Casting an Orchid Flower:

or our business listing:

Ti-Research is not a charity project but you are welcome to contact me offline to discuss options of a late disaster relief. I’d be interested in the left-overs if available for QA reasons.

Best regards,

Sandor Cser

Hello-
If you decide to buy a TI machine, I have one in like new condition. It did not suit my specific needs, and I have other casting equipment I am using. Kevin@pughsdesignerjewelers.com

Kevin:
I am interested in the machine.Could you email me offline about it and how much it costs, etc.
Thanks

mark Sandler
Houston, Texas

gems@designerjewels.com

ANNE:
Mark Sandler here in houston. Go with centrifugal of some type. Way better than vacuum . Simple technology and easier to fix. Let me know if you need some other stuff, too.

Mark Sandler
you are welcome to contact me off chat line
gems@designerjewels.com or 713-623-6996