The Lotus Set - Differences Unite Us

Materials: Sterling Silver, Carnelian, Hematatite, Zirconia, Black Star, Amethyst, Coconut Shell, Swarovskis, Suede Cord, and Leather Cord
Dimensions: 40 x 40 x 60 mm

The Lotus Flower Set is a sculptural piece of jewellery that was commissioned by a father of a family of five. His initial idea was a piece of jewellery that could be pulled apart to divide between his three children. Yet, I came up with the idea of designing a piece which would divide in 5 components, so that each member of the family would be symbolically bonded by wearing one of the essential components that form this beautiful flower. Every individual person has an important role in the family’s formation, each being an individual key element . These individual elements are unified and brought together through love, affinity, understanding, acceptance and sacrifice to form a flourishing family.

The Lotus flower is regarded in many different cultures, as a symbol of purity, enlightenment, self-regeneration and rebirth. Its characteristics are a perfect analogy for the human condition: even when its roots are in the dirtiest waters, the Lotus produces the most beautiful flower. At times, a family oftenly floats above muddy waters of life-circumstances, yet through oneness and unity, obstacles can be overcome.

The Lotus Flower Set disassembles to unify the family. Each piece was designed to suit the individual tastes with respective materials and form. The stem symbolises the backbone, being for the father, the three children flourish and each take a leaf, whilst the mother’s pod unifies the Lotus and similarly the family.

Photo credit: Antoinette Mamo

Nadège Renée
Nadège Renée Cassar
Fgura, Malta

Setting up a small workshop back in 2005, I kicked off my jewellery designer/maker venture under the name of Nadège.Renée, and have been since designing and producing contemporary jewellery. Using sterling silver as the core material, this is often combined with precious or semi-precious stones, crystals, leather and even wood or other materials. With uniqueness being the underlying concept beneath the Nadège.Renée jewellery, I creates my own exclusive or limited edition collections as well as being commissioned to design and craft one-off pieces. I try to combine the use of symbolism to the need of emotional expression through commission projects,primarily inspiring myself from natural elements for form, function and symbolic connotations.

Ganoksin hosts the jewelry list Orchid, with over 13,000 list members from all over the world, speaking from a wide range of technical and aesthetic experiences. The exhibition theme grew out of a desire to celebrate the creativity encompassed in this wide variety.

Artists were free to interpret the theme in any way they chose. Each artist could submit up to six pieces. Interpretations include uniting different materials into one cohesive form; intellectual and emotional “unitings”, where the meaning of the piece unites multiple concepts; the uniting of time - past, present and future; and a number that focus on the harmony created when uniting multiple materials and/or concepts.

The work submitted involved a wide range of jewelry techniques, from very traditional to very cutting edge, as well as using materials from traditional precious metals and gemstones to “re-purposed” and “up-cycled” materials.

The exhibition showcases 330 images chosen from entries from over 111 artists representing 26 countries.

Argentina, Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Colombia, Czech Republic, France, Greece, India, Israel, Italy, Malta, Mauritius, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Philippines, Serbia, Spain, Trinidad, Turkey, UK, USA, Venezuela, and the Virgin Islands

Many of the participants began their interest in jewelry at a young age. Some are relative newcomers to the field, and some have over 35 years of experience as professional jewelers and goldsmiths. While some grew up in families that were goldsmiths, and followed in those footsteps, others only began creating jewelry as adults.