The Art and Jewelry of J.Grahl Design

This is one of my favorite suites, and one of my favorite photos from Sylvia.
The Tahitian “Black” pearls are rarely black. Their color range is akin to a rainbow, but, they are, in general, dark.
This pair of 11 mm rounds have an incredible deep steely-blue cast, a perfect match for the hand fabricated platinum ring and pendant. The pendant is suspended on an 11 mm strand of South Sea white pearls from Broome Australia.
Enjoy,
Jim
Photography by Sylvia Bissonnette

1 Like

We all need our toys…
or in this case icons, possibly memories ( though Leda and the Swan is a little foggy for me)
Small pieces are fun, though sometimes more of a challenge because proportion and balance are critical so we don’t wind up with a cartoon.
Each of these was a commission,
A sailor and the shark’s tooth he fought the fish for.
The Snowbird, with fond memories of her snowmen.
The cowboy, though on the dance floor far more than a horse, and,
A dreamer, of a more classical time with somewhat unearthly representations.
And there’s that bug again, crawled into the shot (Though invited).
All are hand fabricated , each one of one.
18K, platinum, diamonds, Fine Lapis (boot) Mother of Pearl & onyx (Leda),a single "Hammered " pearl for the snowman, fine Indicolite tourmaline in the beetle (and a heck of a run-on sentence.
Enjoy,
Jim
Photo, Sylvia Bissonnette

1 Like

Our more contemporary side …
A Big amethyst is a tough stone to work with. They’re beautiful, but the basic crystal form is so large that you see more big ones than small. The color get’s really beautiful in the larger stones.
So my play on this 40 ct. piece was to expose as much as possible of the color and give it a simple , architectural, base, kind of reminiscent of a Calder sculpture.
This is fabricated in 18K yellow gold and platinum with diamonds pave’ set along the central spine, the neckpiece is forged 18K yellow gold, sharing texture with the pendant.
Enjoy,
Jim
Photo, Sylvia Bissonnette.

One thing leads to another…
As a follow up (and the growth of the family),
The charm bracelet of baby necessities followed.
Completely hand fabricated in 18K yellow gold and platinum with diamond accents, the bracelet and charms were intended to capture the flavor of infancy.
The rattle rattles, the pram’s wheels turn and top flips side to side, the safety pin opens. There is motion on each piece.
The rattle shown previously lives as a pendant, and though similar, the one on the bracelet is smaller in scale.
Enjoy,
Jim

Simple can say so much…
A birthing gift for a first born. This Baby Rattle was hand formed in 18K yellow gold, platinum, an Akoya cultured pearl, and topped with a diamond. It is about 1 1/2 inches tall.
Congratulations Mom…
Enjoy,
Jim

1 Like

I really enjoy doing this style of drop. they seem so feminine and natural to the eye.
This is for a 14 mm tahitian cultured black pearl with beautiful green overtones.
This is hand fabricated in 18K yellow gold, accented with diamonds and suspended on a “Wheat” chain.
Enjoy,
Jim

1 Like

Hello Edward (ian)
A special piece for a special occasion.
This was commissioned for a client in Chicgo as a wedding gift for his bride. The wedding to be staged in a Edwardian style with costuming in accord. Many pieces of this era were multi purpose, and this piece was to reflect that, almost utilitarian, way of construction.
This piece is hand fabricated in platinum, adorned with diamonds, set in the Pave’ style.
The pendant as a whole may be separated to be used as a pearl necklace, a necklace with the bow, and as a complete piece with the monogram and Circle’ of diamonds. In addition the monogram is a pin, as is the bow and the Circle’. ( Circle’ is a jewelry term for a circle form with diamonds, regardless of the detail design elements )
Some engineering going on here…
Of special note are the pearls,
These are Japanese “Keishe” pearls, over 10,000 of them. Each 1 mm in diameter. When run over the hand they feel like silk. These are incredibly difficult to find, there are 100 strands in this “Hank” (a grouping of pearl strands).
Enjoy,
Jim

1 Like

I love color, stone carvings and water… Hmmm .
This seemed so natural, A friend supplied this Idar Oberstien cut, Bi-color tourmaline fish. We created a pin /pendant combination that also sits on a removable Ebony base. This is fabricated in 18K green and yellow gold with Tsavorite (African green) garnets and diamonds in platinum bezels. Some pieces occur to me as gentle, possibly peaceful.
This is one.
Thanks,
Enjoy,
Jim

2 Likes

The “Eggs”…
I’ll expand on these over time, but, for the moment here are photos in sequence of creation.
They are all composed of gold, platinum, sterling silver, Brass, stainless steel (mechanisms), enamel, rare woods etc…
Each is one of one. each has a story, all to follow.
For now… photos.
Enjoy,
Jim

3 Likes

Absolutely amazing. The skills and patience are astounding.

Thank you.
I love this work and have the support of an amazing team.
Best,
Jim

Here are a few shots of the “Balboa Park Carousel Egg”
This represents 18 years of work, 8 very dedicated people and the support of both GIA (the museum and lecture coordinators) and the San Diego Natural History Museum (Where it’s on display).
Again, in time, more details to come.
Enjoy,
Jim

1 Like

Jim,

I saw this post before shutting down my computer and this phenominal piece perked me right up! How do you expect me to fall asleep at this point?

Jeff Herman

2 Likes

Hi Jim,

(I apologize if you already mentioned this)…Is there a book in print with these photos representing your work?

Julie

One of the coolest things about @JimGrahlDesign is that he is largely if not entirely un-marketed - not for any reason having anything to do with talent. It’s because of his incredible humility. I had to wrestle with him to get him on Orchid, and now we can’t let him go anywhere.

My appreciation for fabrication, and in large part my decision to take over Ganoksin/Orchid, was a direct result of being inspired by him as a person, and by his work.

I know there are many more like Jim, and if Orchid can be the place for them, that’s damn cool and something I’m proud of.

3 Likes

Thanks for the compliments & comments,
I just really love being able to “make”…
Not so good at getting’ out there.
There is a book in process but it’ll be a while still, and Seth, thanks for letting me be part of the team…
All my best,
Jim

2 Likes

The design of this is captivating Jim! Gorgeous! Thanks for sharing your work-inspiring!

Eileen Schneegas, WA

1 Like

This one took my breath in an awestruck exhalation Jim! I think the deep blue gems will do that to me, but also the presentation struck some chord or other. Darker blue sapphires are also a favorite of mine, so long as you can cut them to still see the light…Thank you for all the shares. Just an appreciator of fine work.

Eileen Schneegas, WA

I know ! just esquisite work, he may have a team of elves who have their own specialties.

Will and Cats closing date has been changed to nov 24, not sure how they are going to do it sense it is thanksgiving day. I think Catherine has the wrong day! Anyway it is not the 19th anymore. I will be surprised if they get into the house in November.

Done with sensitivity, creativity and wonderful play on history. All the photos are wonderful also. You are fortunate indeed!

Eileen Schneegas, WA