Swest Vac-u-cast oil draining and filling

Folks,

I have an old Swest vac-u-cast. My question deals with changing the oils and filling.
I don’t have an owners manual.
It seems like the last time I did this years ago, I pressed a tube over the nozzle and opened the
valve.

To fill it, there is a chrome plated guard over the reservoir. I believe I sqiurted vacuum oil into that, and the oil ran into the reservoir…
I would think you would do this with the power off and the switch not pointed to the vacuum/investing table.

Any help would be appreciated. Swest was purchased by Stuller years ago.

Thanks, Jim

I’m fairly sure that machine was made by W & W and is a standard vacuum casting machine. Swest and W & W had a long time partnership.

Either way those older vacuum casting machines are all pretty much the same. There’s not too much to replacing the oil. Run it for a while. Empty it. Then refill it until the oil hits the full mark in the fill view finder on the side of the pump. Run it for a while. Turn it off. Let it settle for a bit and verify that the oil is still at the full mark in the view finder.

If you have more questions feel free to post some pictures of all of the parts related to changing the oil.

Hope that helps!!

Jeff

Do i pour it in through the cap with the 1/2" holes in it?? There is a hole under the cap. Should i try to put a filler hose in the hole??
Wish i could get you a picture.

I Believe this is where I filled it last time. The newer ones have a fill hole with a cap.
Let me know.

Thanks, Jim

There is a hole under the top cap right? That should be the fill hole. The drain hole is at the knob on the bottom. The full view finder is in that center window. That’s what it looks like to me.

I’m not sure why there is the black cap covering the fill hole? That doesn’t make a lot of sense. But if there’s a bolt and hole under there, it’s probably the fill hole.

No cap covering the fill hole. Just no light and as close as I can get. it fills slow.
Is the oil just supposed to drip/seep in?? So slow. There is oil all over the inside, and leaks onto the shelf I have it on. It will boil water in 37 seconds. Is the oil amount supposed to be to the fill line always, or just when I turn it on and pull a vacuum?? I have no instructions for the unit I bought second hand.

When Swest went out of business, they were absorbed by Stuller. Maybe you should reach out to Stuller’s jewelry tool tech support team? They might have an owner’s manual for your casting machine floating around.

I tried to see if I could find an owner’s manual for you online, but couldn’t find anything, so you should contact Stuller. The best I could find is this:
https://www.ishor.com/vacuum-casting-machine-instructions

I’m a little uncertain what you mean by there’s oil all over the place inside the cabinet. Do you think you spilled oil or do you think there is a leak? Either way you should clean it up as best as possible. You don’t want a leak.

If you’re reaching a boil in 37 seconds you have good vacuum pressure! That’s very good news!!

My guess is that once you figure this machine out it’s going to be a great tool for you.

Best of luck!!

Jeff

Jeff,
Leticia at Stuller emailed me what she had. The mavhine i have is older. Model 160-005.

The instructions she emailed me are foe a later model machine. Stuller did what they could.
My guess is my machine is 40+ years old.
Heavy, and has oil fumes covering the inside of the unit. I understand these machines will act like fogging oilers when run.

1 Like

Oim going to clean the inside and give as good a look as i can. I dont suspect an oil leak.
Works too well, to consistently for a leak.
Jim

1 Like

There was a sort of vapor lock at the filling hole. Problem solved.
Thanks Jeff. Runs like a champ.

Jim

2 Likes

Yay! Happy casting!! Jeff