Studio lighting

I recently bought daylight balanced, 4 foot LED shop lights from Costco. They also come with a pull cable, you can hang them from a chain off the ceiling to the height you need. I put them under some cabinets too. What a difference to the old fluorescence bulbs in the ceiling shop lights.

But at the bench, (when not using a microscope with the build-in light) for bright detail light exactly where I am looking, my favorite lights are the ones I put on my Optivisors. (I use three, with different magnification)
If you are a tinkerer and like to make your own stuff and cheaper…

You can buy flexible strips/rolls of 12 Volt LED lights, I get the water resistant ones, 5000 Kelvin (mimics daylight).
You can get 3 foot extension cords made for 12volt LED on Amazon:
“5.5mm x 2.1mm DC Plug Extension Cable for Power Adapter 12v dc”

Cut one end off and solder it to the LED strip (pay attention to the + and - sides!), then tape/glue the strip to the Optivisor. (My favorite solder for LED is “Kester, rosin core solder”, use with lots of ventilation)
LED do burn out, so don’t cement permanently to the Optivisor! Cut a small notch at the side of the Optivisor and use some binging wire to secure the cable so it hangs towards the back and doesn’t interfere with your work.

Get a cheap 12V power adapter with the same connectors, 5.5 x 2.1 mm DC Plug. (Needed to convert the wall outlet’s 110V to 12V the LED need)
I have those adapters placed and secured at every bench, so I can move around and plug in when I need to have more light.

The only downside… I have gotten up and walked away from the bench and forgot to unplug. No big deal, the plugs easily separate, but it yanks on the contraption you build.

The upside, you don’t need a heavy battery pack on you or on the visor, and you don’t have to replace batteries constantly or especially when you are right in the heat of things.
When leaning over a project, or getting really close to it, there is light when any overhead light would be shaded. Also, you don’t need room for a light fixture on your bench and there is no light fixture in the way of you reaching for things.

I do not have the problem of seeing the individual LEDs reflecting on my work, since everything in progress at the bench is not high polished (yet). Things have a rough or sanded surface while fabricating/hammering/burnishing, etc. But I also do some detail, final polish at the bench and can’t say that the LEDs have ever bothered me there either. Your mileage will vary…

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Just FYI as a follow up: I salvaged a Flexible arm fluorescent lamp with magnifying glass. I replaced the 22w globe (they apparently lose brightess over time). I am impressed by how useful the magnification is for examining detail and the flexible arm / long reach is very great.

2 Likes