Specialty, Computer-Aided-Designs

We have had numerous discussion about “Computer Aided Designing”. Enclosed you will find a few more examples on how this skill can help you in creating something so very unique. “The only barriers you now have is your reluctance to create something fantastic!”.
The following pieces of jewellery being shown could not have been made by hand, if so, these would take many days to form, but in one single session of ‘CAD, wax-growing’. The items now being displayed, were created as two, or three separate pieces along with the inner Azure ring/plate formed as one individual ring…(later to be soldered to the main ring).
The ‘assembly, to the finished product’ were as follows; Apply as many wax-gates to your wax-carving for sufficient flow of metal, to the wax-tree. Do your casting, remove any excess metal including the ‘gate’ & solder any areas that are required, Emery #240 paper-smooth and then with a finer #180 grit, fine Pumice wheel & then solder including all the areas of the Azure inserts. ‘Tripoly’ polish any areas prior to setting, then you may ‘Rouge’ polish all areas that are surrounding the setting areas.
Set & ‘check for security of stones’, as this is very important, why so? Once that this ring is cleaned & under closer examination, everything is done to your specifications, it is time for the Gold, Nickel & Rhodium plating. I don’t think it is needed for me to explain the plating processes, but everything you are now doing, has to be literally under ‘sterile conditions’. My plating is at ‘5 microns’ of thickness, same as a watch-case.
Why did I mention that “check for security of stones”? It is advisable not to touch any claws/prongs after setting, as no marks should be seen after your creation is finished! You must have all the necessary tools at your disposal and no short-cuts are allowed. I did the setting, but left my “assembly, soldering & plating” to my bench-jeweller. On the 3-piece, “Rotating-Dice, Key-chain”, there are stones all around the outer frame.
Forgive me, on a " Difficulty Scale of 10", these many projects being shown are equally a definite 9+ & these items are not for the novice!

2 Likes

Consider palladium plating. You avoid any nickel allergy situation and the entire piece is made of precious metal.

As my many pieces are for display purposes only, I used only .925 silver.

Gerry! from my mobile-phone!

I was wondering if it was possible to do palladium electroforming - a thicker version of plating - and build up structural forms entirely composed of Pd over a wax core, or into a mold painted with conductive lacquer. Has anybody seen it being done? Is it something we can do in the studio?